Quick, Hide Your Tools......I'm Here - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
BobVillaWannabe

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Revnjeff
Smile

Quick, Hide your tools......I'm here

My name is Jeff. I am a Bob Villa Wannabe, but never will be. First of all, I lack the corporate sponsored tool trailer that must follow him where ever he goes.

We bought our own house about 8 years ago, and I was only skilled in painting, installing ceiling fans, and changing outlet covers. Since that time, I am learning a bunch.

I recently installed a bathroom vanity (whoda thunk the floor was that crooked?). Then tackled the kitchen. Replacing the stainless steel sink with acrylic was a piece of cake, but the vinyl tile flooring was nearly a disaster. I used too much glue and we had glue seeping up from cracks for weeks. Thought the Mrs. was going to kill me.

I've considered doing flooring in the dining room but after the kitchen floor fiasco, I've decided that maybe that's over my head.

One thing I keep thinking about trying to learn is how to rip down the plaster wall section in the upstairs and replace it with drywall. However, the thought of that just scares me to death.

Another problem with "this old house" is that over half the house, including everything on the second floor is all on the same electrical circuit. The problem there is there's only one - yes one - wire coming down into the basement connecting to the breaker. That means most of the wiring piggybacks somewhere....

Maybe someone can teach me about stripping all the electrical wiring from the house, without breaking into the drywall. Yeah, I live in a fantasy world...and I am a Chicago Cub fan too. And I do believe in Santa Claus.

Greeting from the Northwoods of Wisconsin, where we've already had frost last week, but hit 90 today.

Jeff

Advertisement

Revnjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Despite the fact that you're a Cubs fan, I welcome you to DIY chatroom!

Post those questions you have and anwer others' questions where you've got the experience that can help them.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the DIY Chatroom.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
BJ

Rewards Points: 75
Thumbs up

They say you learn through your mistakes, it's just with DYI it can cause you to have nightmares.

The first time I put tile down I was near a coal burning power plant so I used black grout! I thought I was going to have to bust all the tile out. I scrubbed at that stuff until the sponges fell apart. At least the guy at Home Depot got a good laugh as he handed me the grout remover.

That wouldn't be my last disaster with grout. I built my first shower, the real thing, not a kit. A plumber friend helped me a little with getting the basin right.

I have to admit that it turned out great. Fish mosaics on the walls, corner shelves, the works.

It took about 2 weeks for all of the grout on the shower floor to turn black and you couldn't clean it with a flame thrower. It gets pretty warm down her in Florida in the summer time and the heat can make things like grout sealer go bad. Needless to say I had a lot of things that I'd rather have been doing than sitting on that shower floor with that little grout saw.

Be happy that this site is around so you can ask before you leap. If you can't figure out how to do something you'll get all the help you need, and it will help you not make the goof-ups we already did.

BJ
BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote