Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Posted A Few Times Before, Never gave an Intro

Hello,

I've been lurking a lot and posting a few times, but never gave an intro.

I'm a new and first time homeowner. I have an 8 month old which is the reason I bought a house. That and it would be in my favor to buy a house vs rent when rent is almost as much as buying a house. My mortgage is the same as what one of my coworkers pays for rent with his duplex, and he pays all utilities as well.

It's an older fixer upper house, which is what I wanted, but I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answered on here. Mostly with heating and cooling, since its radiant ceiling heat through a boiler in the basement. One room has a wall heater that is from the late 60s early 70s that hasn't been on in forever, and my major summer project is to remove the wall heater and tie boiler into some sort of floor heating for this room.

Thanks in advance.

kmk7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Welcome!

What room is the wall heater in? We have hydronic heat, but we also have an electric baseboard heater in the bathroom. It is nice to be able to crank up the heat in there since we keep our thermostat low.
Since radiant heat is rather slow, there may be areas of the house you want a secondary heat source. I wouldn't rule out replacing the wall heater rather than removing it.

Edited because I'm blonde.

Last edited by Blondesense; 05-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Greetings and Welcome to the Forum.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Welcome!

What room is the wall heater in? We have hydronic heat, but we also have an electric baseboard heater in the bathroom. It is nice to be able to crank up the heat in there since we keep our thermostat low.
Since radiant heat is rather slow, there may be areas of the house you want a secondary heat source. I wouldn't rule out replacing the wall heater rather than removing it.

Edited because I'm blonde.
The wall heater is a giant one in a main living room. I dont really want to replace it just because its in a inefficient place. I just dont think the place is a good location for it. Its something for us to ponder yet tho. Thanks for the opinion.
kmk7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Welcome to the forum.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote