Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
jep

Share |

polybutylene nightmare

Hi All,

I'm a new member who just noticed my welcome message which suggested to come here and "tell people a bit about myself."

This is "too much information" but:

My home was plumbed with polybutylene which is infamous and the subject of several billion dollar class action law suits. It leaks. In order to be eligible for compensation it had to leak within 14 years of installation. Mine started leaking after 20 years. I didn't know anything about it until I'd owned my home for some years. In the past three years there have been three separate leaks. The first was in a basement apt which was all ready for my dad to move into. He became ill at that time and couldn't move in to it. That leak flowed free for probably two weeks before I went into the apartment and saw it. THe apartment was ruined. That was in 2006. Insurance denied the claim because I waited too long to file it. The next leak sprung at the beginning of this year and resulted in considerable mold in the two main bathrooms. We had mold remediation guys come in who gutted both of those bathrooms plus what was left of the basement bathroom. THey rebuilt one bathroom and did a nice job on it. Insurance paid for a fraction of the claim. Partly because we put back a much higher quality bathroom that was there and partly because they're cheap. They paid $5K on the mold remediation and the cost was close to $9K. Etc. Woe is me. The most recent leak sprung this summer where the main line joins the house. We managed to get that replaced for only $2K which I thought was an awesome deal. The only remaining polubutylene in the house is the line that feeds the kitchen. I hope to replace that before it starts leaking but I want to get the rest of the house back in order first.

jep is offline   Reply With Quote