Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #1

Share |

One man new home construction.

Hello All,

I started building my house last October out of necessity. I had always wanted to build my own house so........

Firetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Ok so is there a question?
One person building a house Hmm.
Good luck with that one.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Hey Firetech- welcome to the forum!
If you get around to it- show us some pics. of your place with a little back story. Curious how one person builds a house.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
General Contractor

Very curious first post. Maybe he couldn't post pictures due to low post count?
CENTERLINE MV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CENTERLINE MV For This Useful Post:
Firetech (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Good luck with that one.
It really was not hard at all, it just takes being broke and needing a place to live bigger than an airstream for me and my family.
Attached Thumbnails
One man new home construction.-image-1715462281.jpg   One man new home construction.-image-3506066143.jpg   One man new home construction.-image-3530940130.jpg   One man new home construction.-image-1084184112.jpg   One man new home construction.-image-2733670286.jpg  

Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
Hey Firetech- welcome to the forum!
If you get around to it- show us some pics. of your place with a little back story. Curious how one person builds a house.
First I had to build a foundation that could be on a hill affordable and done by myself. Digging foundation by hand and laying block seemed overwhelming since it might be 2 week gap in working on it. I decided that me and a post hole digger could make a post foundation out of 6x6 treated. Each hole has 12" diameter quick create forms with rebar. Also they are driven into the sandstone below. Each is at least 4ft deep. This was the only thing that I could do since a footer will fill with water and become a muddy mess. This way one pole at a time.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #7

Where are you located? Where did you get the plans for this house? Do you have a permit? It certainly would never be approved where I live.

I really do appreciate the amount of work involved. My wife and I, both in our 60s, spent most of the last three years building our log home almost entirely by ourselves. Subbed out the foundation just to get it done more quickly, and the HVAC because we couldn't legally work on that. We did literally everything else. Lived in our RV on the property the whole time.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
STAFF

Just looking at that wooden extension ladder tells me you are one strong dude. Building alone is slow and takes a lot of thinking of how to do things without help. Ever try building a free standing carport alone, I have. I admire you for your efforts, in my book you did good.

The good part is if you wanted to come back and build a masonry foundation it would be doable.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Good luck with that one.
Like Firetech said, just takes determination:

Kidding aside, it can be done, even by a 67 year old.
(Including milling the lumber that it was made from)

But Firetech, I'm curious, I don't seem to see any bracing on your foundation other than some of the posts rising a bit higher than the sills.
Do you plan on adding bracing later ?

Arky
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Well done!
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetech View Post
Hello All,

I started building my house last October out of necessity. I had always wanted to build my own house so........
This is a new one. Usually most of us either buy one already put together, and fix it up, or rent a place. Unless you are in the wilderness, jungles, arctic, shelter is not a necessity in populated areas.

Even in those areas in the U.S. that are still considered non-populated, most people either just have a manufactured home put in place, or build a habitat so that they have some level of comfort, and a place to eat and sleep.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTERLINE MV View Post
Very curious first post. Maybe he couldn't post pictures due to low post count?
Anyone as a new user on this site, can post pictures to it, by either placing a link in their post, to their flickr account, or in the post, through the Advanced button.

Only thing you cannot do as a new user, is send Private Messages.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

First off, those piers are really undersized, second the beams are going to rot out over time, even quicker if in a snow area, due to being embedded in concrete. If in a area that is rampant with wild fires, those piers should be at least six feet off the ground, same goes if you get heavy snow fall.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #14

Hello Arky217,

Thanks for the pictures of the houses. I really like the satellite dish and toilet. As far as the pole foundation goes I am going back and installing cross braceing between the 6x6 posts just as you did. Is there bracing on all of the support posts or just the perimeter ones. I really should have done this already but I was trying my best to get it dried in. I really like the vinyl siding, metal roof and front porch. It looks great.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

Also I forgot to ask, is your post on 8' center, they look like they could be. That is what I did on mine for strength and 8' lumber was cheaper and the span width allowed the use of smaller lumber.