Not New To DIY, Not New To Forums, But New To DIY Forum! - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Not new to DIY, not new to forums, but new to DIY forum!

Just found the site today after getting frustrated with an electrical issue that I can't get any answers about from my usual go-to guys in town.

I am a System Design Engineer with a Low-Voltage company. I know that sounds important but all I do is copy paste in excel all day. When I try to explain my job I end up sounding like the guy that got canned in Office Space. "I take the sales sheets, translate them, and give them to operations". I have people skills !!!!

Anyway, if any of you have questions about phone, cable, satellite, theatres, whole house audio, remotely locating gear, lighting control, automation or central vacs, PM me a link to your thread or just the question, I can probably answer it.

I'm 26 by the way.

My house was built in 1912, 3000 sq ft, abandoned for 20 years before I moved in and it's my first project (and first home that I've owned). Yes I have figured out now that I should have started smaller and easier. Now (exactly 2 years later) I have heat and A/C, 3 prong electrical outlets, breakers instead of fuses, copper pipes instead of galvanized, refinished floors downstairs, a washer and dryer, a closet for the master bed (12'x13' - used to be the "office"), 2 1/2 brand new bathrooms from the band boards up, new kitchen from the sub floor up and a new sunroom in the back of the house that used to be two 8' x 11' rooms. Four bedrooms to do upsatirs and the interior will be done. New roof, landscaping, asbestos removal in the basement and cleaning out all of the old crap out of the basement and it will be on the market! I hope to sell it by the end of the year since I've had to keep borrowing more and more on it to the point where I can't afford it anymore. Maybe it will pay off in the end.

I used to be a musician (percussion) before I started this "wonderful" project and I spend my (what shouldn't be) spare time practicing gun control and making electronic music.

Glad to be here, I hope its as great as I think it will be.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wow..by the sounds of it, you have a lot to offer on here.

Keep that modest attitude...and you will go far in life....

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-28-2007 at 09:34 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

Welcome to the site.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #4

thanks guys! I hope to contribute and if I can't do that then I'll just have to learn until I can. At least there's a home theatre section. I can definitely help there.

I just want to say that I love this interface. This isn't the most appealing color scheme (to me) but the rest is AWESOME. I like how the reply box is more like WORD than HTML. Very cool.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome System Design Engineer with a Low-Voltage Company!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #6

Now that I've re-read my OP I realize that I accidentally made it sound like I did all of my work myself. I did not. I hired people to; do the HVAC (complete two zone retro, duct and all), changing the electrical panel, refinish the hardwoods, texture the plaster, replace the pipes and replace the band boards and sub floors. Sorry if I made myself sound way more competent than I actually am. Of course I watched the pros while they were working to learn as much as I could and I could do most of it the next time around.

I might go into "flipping" homes someday. If I do, they will need MUCH less work than this one has. I "had to start somewhere" and for 83k it was the cheapest house I could find that was on more than .22 acres.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
DiY Monkey

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

I'm looking to buy a house presently we live in an apartment. I've done a decent amount of DiY work on friend's home but have a lot to learn.

Found this board through Google- hopefully it'll be useful for me and I'll get to help someone learn from the destruction I've caused

Advertisement

LostShooter is offline   Reply With Quote