Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #1

Share |

Nightmare house!

I bought an older house 5 years ago.( built 1978) I am finding problems almost everyday. Meanwhile, there are projects I would like to do. Need help making sure I do them right. I can not afford to hire people. I need to learn how to do it and just do it. I need help to remodel and also fix stuff. I have a huge pool and this is a big house. I love it but need help.

My new project is trying to learn how to pour resin on a bathroom counter top. I have done mosaic in sink and want to lay sand and shells on counter and pour resin on to finish. I saw my neighbor do that on a table and I know it looks good, but I also know it takes a solution from 2 parts of stuff and there can be bubbles. How do I do this? Help please!

Topgn91@hotmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
DIY staff

Nightmare house!

Welcome! Think of the house as a challenge!

As to your question---Please post the question in the general category--

Few members look in on the introductions----and do have fun!---Mike---

Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Nightmare house!

In case you do not move your post I will respond about the resin.

Rough up the existing countertop surface so the new poured surface will adhere.

For a top thick enough to hold and cover seashells, you are going to need to build some sort of form around the sink and the counter edges to hold the resin in place. Coat it with a release agent so you can peel it lose when you are done. You will have to extend your faucets and water supply handles to be taller than your new counter height.

Make sure both parts of the resin are current and within the expiration dates on the labels. If you use outdated resins they may never cure to a solid form.

Epoxy resin is what you should use for a countertop and it is a two part mix. When you mix the two parts together, according to the formula that comes with the product, a chemical "catalytic" reaction takes place that cures the resin.

Your goal is to work quickly to mix the two parts together while trying your best not to whip air bubbles into the resin. If you get bubbles you can get most out with a hair dryer as the resin cures---not after.

Now then your first poor might be a thin layer of epoxy with a solid colorant to serve as a base and should be about 1/4" or so (remember you will see the edge so you do not want it to look to goofy). Stir the colorant into the epoxy and pour into your framed "mold". Let it cure until set and the surface is just tacky. Heat it slightly as it starts to cure to reduce air bubbles.

Mix enough resin to pour a layer thick enough to hold your shells at the angle you want them. Allow the layer to start setting up but embed your shells, sand, glitter, or whatever and let the resin cure until it is firm but just tacky to your touch.

Finally mix and pour a thicker layer of clear resin to fully encase your embedded objects. Allow all the layers to cure completely overnight or even a day or two depending on climate conditions.

Remove the forms holding the edges and use a polishing wheel and plastic polish to smooth the edges. Buff the surface if needed as well.

You should of course practice and experiment with your color and material selections in small molds first before taking on the whole counter. Your resin supplier should have little forms you can use for trying things out.

When working with resins and their solvents always make sure you have adequate ventilation.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Tileguy

Nightmare house!

Duplicate Post.

Just want to know how to do it right.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Nightmare house!

Welcome to the site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote