Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #1

Share |

Newbie in STL

Morning all! Great board, I'm happy to be here.

I try to keep up with three rental properties here in STLouis (and a five bdrm house on 3/4 acre).

Our first was a 1952 duplex in a wonderful neighborhood. Plaster, tile, hardwood, foundation cracks with lots of tuck pointing is keeping me busy there. But it's a beautiful property and so very easy to rent. Stripping and refinishing the oak basement doors next.

Our second purchase was a 1960 three bedroom brick in the suburbs, the previous owner had just gone through the entire house so his daughter could live there, she didn't, so not much to do to that property for the last 10 yrs. Bath remodels coming up next year tho. Tenant in her 80s, we love her.

Our third purchase was a 1932 brick Craftsman up and down 2 family - son needed a place to live. We did a lot of work there when we bought it, central a/c, new and refinished floors, bathroom remodels. But that was nine yrs ago so you know it's coming around again. Plaster project starting this week. Roof leak from our crazy hailstorms went unnoticed for a year. Why the tenant didn't alert us is beyond me.

I retired from running an automotive business (25yrs) for a relative two years ago and am managing the property full time. Biggest complaint? Contractors are unreliable, which is why I am attempting all the DIY. I've been waiting two months to get a call back from any of the three tuck pointers I've called. I realize that it's 110 degrees outside but how about giving me and estimate and putting me on your schedule for November? Good contractor doesn't necessarily mean good businessman. . I also get a lot of 'Have your husband call me' - which sucks. Femme DIYers rock!

warnerd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Newbie in STL

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerd3 View Post
Morning all! Great board, I'm happy to be here.

I try to keep up with three rental properties here in STLouis (and a five bdrm house on 3/4 acre).

Our first was a 1952 duplex in a wonderful neighborhood. Plaster, tile, hardwood, foundation cracks with lots of tuck pointing is keeping me busy there. But it's a beautiful property and so very easy to rent. Stripping and refinishing the oak basement doors next.

Our second purchase was a 1960 three bedroom brick in the suburbs, the previous owner had just gone through the entire house so his daughter could live there, she didn't, so not much to do to that property for the last 10 yrs. Bath remodels coming up next year tho. Tenant in her 80s, we love her.

Our third purchase was a 1932 brick Craftsman up and down 2 family - son needed a place to live. We did a lot of work there when we bought it, central a/c, new and refinished floors, bathroom remodels. But that was nine yrs ago so you know it's coming around again. Plaster project starting this week. Roof leak from our crazy hailstorms went unnoticed for a year. Why the tenant didn't alert us is beyond me.

I retired from running an automotive business (25yrs) for a relative two years ago and am managing the property full time. Biggest complaint? Contractors are unreliable, which is why I am attempting all the DIY. I've been waiting two months to get a call back from any of the three tuck pointers I've called. I realize that it's 110 degrees outside but how about giving me and estimate and putting me on your schedule for November? Good contractor doesn't necessarily mean good businessman. . I also get a lot of 'Have your husband call me' - which sucks. Femme DIYers rock!
if you say so.looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. you can save a lot of money if you DIY but getting advise before start any project will be the trick. welcome to the site.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Newbie in STL

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote