Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Landscape contractor

Rewards Points: 75

newbie intro

Hey everbody, I'm Tim, another Hoosier!, looking forward to getting some great info, I'm remodeling an old 50's ranch and it's becoming a big pain in the rear-end. This site looks extremely helpfull. I own a small landscape company and have been landscaping for the last 22 years. Carpentry is my hobby. Hope you can handle all my questions!

timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

newbie intro

welcome Tim, I just so happen to be working on a 50's rancher so I think I no where your coming from. Ask away as much as you like and by the way we love to see before and after pics.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Landscape contractor

newbie intro

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the help. I checked out your site, beautiful work, love the detail, it's what really makes a job stand out! How long have you been working on the ranch?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #4

newbie intro

Well I spent 2 weeks replacing windows and exterior trims ( sounds simple enough ). This house will be a on going project over the next year. House has had, at last count 4 additions over the years. We are trying to get the out side prep for vinyle siding and I have been finding nothing but holes holes and more holes and the latest find was a old front door which they took the door off the frame and left the frame in and just stuffed insulation in the hole . Well at least we are having fun
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Landscape contractor

newbie intro

you did better than me on the windows! I had to put mine in over a two year period, with work it was the only way i could get it done,I'm still working on the interior trim around them. I don't know if you saw my ? in the general section of the forum, but the insulation in the walls of this house is really weak. The outside walls of two of the bedrooms are always cold to the touch in the winter. I replaced those old aluminum windows and that helped a bit but when I opened up one of the walls it only had this very thin yellow paperbacked insulation in it, it didn't even come close to filling the cavity. One of the comments I got back in the forum was to rip all the drywall off and insulate with new. Not happenin! Anything else I can do? All the drywall in this place is in excellent conditon.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #6

newbie intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
you did better than me on the windows! I had to put mine in over a two year period, with work it was the only way i could get it done,I'm still working on the interior trim around them. I don't know if you saw my ? in the general section of the forum, but the insulation in the walls of this house is really weak. The outside walls of two of the bedrooms are always cold to the touch in the winter. I replaced those old aluminum windows and that helped a bit but when I opened up one of the walls it only had this very thin yellow paperbacked insulation in it, it didn't even come close to filling the cavity. One of the comments I got back in the forum was to rip all the drywall off and insulate with new. Not happenin! Anything else I can do? All the drywall in this place is in excellent conditon.
Not much you can do other than tear it all off. Check all your plugs and switches and try to seal the drafts or tackle it from the outside. You would not be able to adress the vapour barrier but could improve the insulation but if you have already replaced the windows and trims you probably won't want to go this route.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

newbie intro

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I need some help.
I'm remodeling my house and the team that worked until now is really lazy..it passed almost one year and they are doing now the flooring and ask me to buy different thinks and I buy them because I don't know if they are good or not..
Now they ask me if they should put cork in the bathroom.. my husband (he is on the sea for 3 months so I can not talk to him right now) told me to put extra polyurethane coats in the bath because it deadens the sound of heavy feet and it's warm... so what should I do? listen my husband or the "experts"?
please advice me
Thanks
lolitad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

newbie intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitad View Post
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I need some help.
I'm remodeling my house and the team that worked until now is really lazy..it passed almost one year and they are doing now the flooring and ask me to buy different thinks and I buy them because I don't know if they are good or not..
Now they ask me if they should put cork in the bathroom.. my husband (he is on the sea for 3 months so I can not talk to him right now) told me to put extra polyurethane coats in the bath because it deadens the sound of heavy feet and it's warm... so what should I do? listen my husband or the "experts"?
please advice me
Thanks
Hi,

Welcome to the site and the forums.

In order to get proper answers to your questions, what you really need to do is,
start a new thread (for your own questions) in the "Flooring" forum.
That is the proper way to get answers to an unrelated question (to this thread) that you may have.

(What you are doing here is what is referred to as "High-Jacking" someone else's thread = )

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 12-10-2007 at 07:21 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote