Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie Here

Hi Folks, I just discovered this site looking for DIY plans for an exterior door. My DW is after me to replace the existing one that has a large glass in it with a solid but pretty wood door. Sigh,.....so here I am hoping to find what she is going to be happy with. She saw a piece about lock bumping and now I have to come up with a nice design so she will feel safe.

daddydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #2

Newbie Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydoright View Post
Hi Folks, I just discovered this site looking for DIY plans for an exterior door. My DW is after me to replace the existing one that has a large glass in it with a solid but pretty wood door. Sigh,.....so here I am hoping to find what she is going to be happy with. She saw a piece about lock bumping and now I have to come up with a nice design so she will feel safe.
A lot of people think a solid wood door is the only way to secure your house. However, they can be prohibitely expensive and don't really offer anything more security-wise.

How secure a door is has much more to do with how it is installed. When installing a prehung door, people often don't nail the frame in at all, relying only on the screws through the hinges and maybe the door strike to hold the whole assembly in.

When I installed my front door I nailed+shimmed all the way around the frame (more wood filling but more secure). For the screws in the hinges and strike that are meant to penetrate the RO lumber, I used longer screws than what the door/lock kit provided so they got a better grip on the studs in the RO.

You may want to still replace the old door with something that has less glass, but a steel or fiberglass door will still be plenty safe.

mfc133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Newbie Here

Thanks for the tips on making one more secure. I tried to talk her into a fiberglass door but she's not having it. I'm in need of some serious plans. I know my way around the shop but I do not know squat about door building!

DW has her mind set on a door made out of 2x4's (her words) that looks somewhat midievil with large black ornamental ironwork holding it all together. She likes that look and wants me to build it. I have trouble hanging doors as it is,.... so this should be fun.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Newbie Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydoright View Post
Thanks for the tips on making one more secure. I tried to talk her into a fiberglass door but she's not having it. I'm in need of some serious plans. I know my way around the shop but I do not know squat about door building!

DW has her mind set on a door made out of 2x4's (her words) that looks somewhat midievil with large black ornamental ironwork holding it all together. She likes that look and wants me to build it. I have trouble hanging doors as it is,.... so this should be fun.

Ughh, sorry to hear that. Sounds like it would be a neat looking door though. Just be aware that building and hanging your own custom sized door is an art form, not a job for the faint at heart.

Due to the availability of prehung doors, less and less carpenters these days know how to do it correctly.

If you don't believe me, read this:
http://blog.directdoorhardware.com/2...an-entry-door/
mfc133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Newbie Here

Due to the availability of prehung doors, less and less carpenters these days know how to do it correctly.

If you don't believe me, read this:
http://blog.directdoorhardware.com/2...an-entry-door/[/quote]

Oh, I believe you alright! I've already called around some and been told lotsa luck! I don't have deep pockets either.

Thanks for the link above, I'm looking it over already.

Another member suggested an antique store so I'm gonna check into that tomorrow. I've decided this is not something I can pull off. Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Newbie Here

Welcome to the site !

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote