Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Newbie from Beverly MA and BLACK trim!

Own a circa 1740 house ... so EVERYTHING is DIY!!! I'll try just about anything once. Right now we're trying to spice up some old built in cabinets and replace a counter while simultaneously insulating walls without removing the counters ... ugh. new countertop is a black/pumpkin colored granite look. I want to paint the small crown moulding above the cabinets (Really low colonial ceilings) black, or espresso black, or ... I'm not sure WHAT the color should be. I'm leaving the cabinets alone. the They've honeyed over and the grain is pretty (birch plywood) What color would anyone suggest for "black" which we know (and I'm a graphic designer!) isn't truly BLACK. anyone got a super duper idea, or a previously blunder so I don't recreate the error of your ways?! Lolly

Rellie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

a gloss black might work. without seeing the whole thing i have a hard time saying one way or the other though. it was also very common with the mid-century designers to paint the toe-kicks black. i am actually toying with that idea myself but dont have cabinets yet to actually look at.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thinking maybe a semi gloss, and scuff it a bit so the honey comes out in places. I'm just trying to figure out if it should be almost black (on the espresso side) or black. Not really enough moulding to worry ... and easily enough to recolor if I hate it. I've got some maple toe kicks that reverse out to a mate black. I'm thinking of going with that side and creating an illusion of feet on the cabinets.
Rellie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

i personally like the black toe kicks. with the black molding on top it would look pretty sharp IMO.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antique colonial, black paint, trim color