Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

newbie in Arizona

Hi -- I have been doing a lot of my own repairs for years. This time I am stumped. House built AZ style on slab. Wood framed stucco. Floor leak in outside corner of bedroom. One side of corner is eastern exposure. Other side is under patio overhang. New roof put on less than a year ago. Rain seeps in and then gets under the carpet. I have tried everything I know to figure out the source of the leak and fix it. Patched outside cracks, caulked inside, etc. There is no plumbing near that corner and it is graded properly (I think). Today, in desperation, I dug down to below the stucco wall which extends below the grade of the floor. There are gaps where the stucco ends and I don't know if this is normal or not. I have bought some waterproof paint and intend to apply it to the outside wall in that area but I am concerned about the gaping hole where the stucco ends and am not sure at all that waterproofing will help. I am trying to save myself the 300.00 fee I was quoted for a "leak repair" guy to just come out and look -- not even fix it! I know this is long, but if anyone knows about fixing a leak like this I could sure use some advice! Thanks, Jean123

jean123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

newbie in Arizona

Welcome to the site. Leaks like the one you describe can be a real challenge to fix in person, let alone over the internet. You're doing the right thing by checking for good caulk and flashing in the area, but also understand that water can move laterally for a good distance inside a wall on the plates and rim joist.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote