Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

Hey all newbie from WI. Been lurking on and off for a while now but never really had much to say so I never signed up. Just starting to renovate my mobile home. It is an 1987 model so my major goal in the process is updating to a more modern look and improving the insulation. I am just starting going through one room at a time gutting each one to reinsulate the walls with R-13 (I know I should have a value of R-18 on the walls here but 2x4 walls only allow 13) then refinishing. Also getting the popcorn off the ceiling. Next summer I hope to get new windows all around and reside the home and will put some sheet insulation on the outside to improve the R value of the walls a bit.

That's all I have for now will continue reading all that I can to hopefully avoid some rookie mistakes in the process.

iklingenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #2

Pretty ambitious. It's a shame they were still manufacturing mobiles with 2x4 walls in '87. Were were shopping for mobile homes in '90 and actually had a salesman tell us they had the same R value as a 6" wall. The beuty of a mobole home is you can move any of the interior walls since all of the support is in the outer walls.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #3

2x4 walls aren't great but my biggest issue is the roof trusses being made out of 2x2's. Another down fall is no access to the attic to add any insulation there. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the ceiling in a closet so I can get up there. Where I live I pay close to 300 a month to heat in the winter which is the biggest motivation for doing all of this work. I figure I should learn all this stuff now on a cheap home that is relatively easy to work on so I know what I'm doing when I do buy a stick built house.
iklingenberger is offline   Reply With Quote