Newb From PA - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

newb from PA

Representin'!

I'm an undergrad student at a PSU branch campus. I've only recently gotten into DIY, but I never replace anything until I'm absolutely positive that I cannot fix it. The project that led me to find this place is a table to support another hobby: cooking! I need a waist level (I'm average height) table to serve as extra counter space in my modest kitchen. I want to make it out of wood and start with the pieces already cut to size. As far as plans go, I just want something traditional that I can modify if need be. I would greatly appreciate any advice that will help me save time, money, or pitiful failure. Thanks!

Oh! And I'm sure someone's going to sit/stand on this at some point, so I want it to be very sturdy, able to support many hundreds of pounds without a problem.

Advertisement

interrogatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

newb from PA

Welcome and greetings! Be safe, Gary

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #3

newb from PA

Hey.
Well since you are at a Univ. you have free access to "Architectural Graphic Standards" at the school, there would be a nice place to start , unless you know exactly what height you want. Then I would start by using your imagination and Drawing your design before you start cutting, Im sure that you are well versed in using computers , so if you want you could use sketchup.google.com or you could draw it free hand with all the dimensions you need.
If I may I would suggest A hardwood Plywood or an MDF plywood of at least 3/4" thickness for the table top , and double it. Plywood is very strong. and resist's expansion movements. In your design I would also suggest that YOU move the legs inward from the area that you plan to stand so you don't kick them with your legs,knees,feet. ( a perfect example is a bed frame , Im sure you have kicked the legs..) this isn't a hard project , although how big of a table are you wanting to make? 2' wide by 8'long then you would need some supports on the face of the edge to help keep the table from sagging, Your choice of wood will also help . Oak, Maple, or if you prefer douglas fir, is a nice strong wood and cheap, but since you live in Pa, I would think a nice hardwood like Maple or Oak for the legs , leg supports and ties. ( the boards to stabilize the legs near the floor. Again this all depends on the size of the table...... Make a model and see how you like it and make all your changes then. cardboard works great.........
you can do this. ( and don't worry if its not right the first time or if you make a mistake, as ling as you don't cut of any fingers.) http://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
telldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #4

Smile

newb from PA

Thank you for your input. This will be very helpful!
interrogatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen , table , wood