Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

New Member From New Orleans

Just Wanted To Say Hi From The Big Easy. When It Comes To Renovating Not Everything Is Easy So I Found This Site To Help With Some Odd And End Diy Projects. If I Can Be Of Any Help Please Let Me Know.

BHERMANN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Eibwen

Welcome!

I'm sure ya'll still have a lot of renovating to do so please feel free to share anything you have! We're all here to share experiences and learn from each other.

Sammy

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #3

I'VE DONE SEVERAL BATHROOM REMODELS DOWN HERE AND RECENTLY FOUND ONE THAT WAS A LITTLE UNUSUAL. THE FLOOR HAD ABOUT 2 INCHES OF MORTOR POURED ON TOP OF THE EXISTING SLAB THEN STANDARD 4X4 TILES WERE INSTALLED ON TOP. THIS GAVE THE BATHROOM FLOOR 2 INCHES OF A STEP UP FROM THE SLAB LEVEL WHEN ENTERING. THE BATHTUB AND VANITY WERE "SUNK IN" NOT ON TOP OF MORTOR BUT ON THE SLAB FOR SOME REASON.

I FOUND THIS TO BE UNNECESSARY THEREFORE, BEGAN THE GRULING TASK OF REMOVING THE FLOOR TILE AND MORTOR. AFTER USING A SLEG HAMMER AND ABOUT A MILLION BLOWS I REMOVED ABOUT 500+ POUNDS OF DEBRIS.

UPON COMPLETION OF THE DEMO I REALIZED THE CLOSET FLANGE FOR THE TOILET WAS AT LEAST 2 INCHES TO HIGH NOW. IT WAS CAST IRON AND IN THE CEMENT SLAB FOR ABOUT 40 YEARS. TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM I USED A BAND SAW AND CUT THE PIPE/FLANGE DOWN TO ABOUT 1/2" ABOVE THE SLAB LEVEL. I THEN PUT A NEW FLANGE ONTO THE EXISTING PIPE AND THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED. NEW FLANGE WAS PVC, IT FIT INTO THE OLD PIPE AND A RUBBER GASKET EXPANDED INSIDE WHEN ALLEN BOLTS WERE TIGHTENED AS DIRECTED.

WHEN THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY. EVERYTHING WENT REALLY GOOD AND THERE WAS NO PROBLEM WHEN INSTALLING NEW CERAMIC FLOORING A NEW TUB AND NEW TOILET. A LOT OF WORK BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi and Welcome to the site.

Tip: You might want to use lower case letters when posting. Using all upper case (capitals), is the equivalent to "shouting" on the internet.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #5

Thanx, I'm sure that I, as well as all others will find that information very useful.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

Welcome to the website bro.
richardbrickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Welcome to the site. Even after spending about 5 months after Katrina in NO and MS, it is still one of my favorite places to visit. I love the seafood and always make sure I get one meal of shrimp at Pascal's Manale in NO.

You will find that many people wil have a hard time understanding the different ways things were originally built if you are NO and near the river or coast.

Welcome!!

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote