Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #1

Share |

New Member Introduction

I joined the Forum a few days ago and thought I'd post an intro:

I am a middle-aged US Government employee, married with no kids, living in Maryland half way between Baltimore and Washington, DC. 5 1/2 years ago, after getting married, my wife (also a Civil Servant) and I bought a 3400 sq. ft., four bedroom, four level, split level house on an acre of land built in 1992. Since then, we have been slowly renovating/upgrading and landscaping it. There's a lot to be done, as the house, while extremely well-built, was originally outfitted with "contractor grade" appliances, fixtures, etc. and the previous owners did nothing to the house for the 11 years they lived in it. We have recently gotten 'hooked" on HG TV, where we get a lot of our ideas and inspirations. We don't have the $ for any "big amazing renovations", so we are basically redoing the house one room at a time. I am a firm believer in "sweat equity" and I love to DIY, so with the exception of some activities I don't feel comfortable doing myself (more complex electrical & plumbing jobs), I am doing much of the work myself and learning many new skills in the process.

Although we have no human children, we do have seven (!) retired racing greyhounds, so making our house dog safe/dog proof/dog friendly is a major consideration to that goes into our designs and materials selections. This probably would drive a stager or real estate agent crazy should we decide to sell the house, but in our current plans, we won't be selling our house for another 8-10 years.

I just finished dry walling and painting our two-car garage and am largely taking a break for the holidays. The next project in the hopper is to totally gut and redo our powder room.

I'm glad I found this forum- it looks like a great source of helpful info. I already found some needed advice on doing a beadboard ceiling, which is part of next summer's major project- redoing our 500 sq ft basement. I look forward to participating in the Forum and using its resources.
Greytguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

New Member Introduction

Wow,

Lots of background.

Welcome to the site.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #3

New Member Introduction

Welcome to the site. I understand about your kids, we had the two boys move out on their own but still have 5"kids" here. Fun to paint and have someone come behind you with a big tail to help out. Good luck on all your projects.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #4

New Member Introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
Welcome to the site. I understand about your kids, we had the two boys move out on their own but still have 5"kids" here. Fun to paint and have someone come behind you with a big tail to help out. Good luck on all your projects.
Welcome. I'm right up the road from you. Are you near Columbia?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

New Member Introduction

We live in the Crofton/Gambrills area.
Greytguy is offline   Reply With Quote