New Member - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hello ALL,

I'm Brian and wanted to post a question but the board requires me to have 5 posts before I can post a link, ???? not quite sure what to do but run around and shoot 5 shots randomly

Brian

Advertisement

brian49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

... Or you could say hello to a few others here. Maybe tell us what kind of work you do or what DIY stuff you're interested in.

Welcome to the forum

Advertisement

SawDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

SawDusty,

Great suggestion. Ok here we go.
I'm electronics engineer for 28 yrs an going, design movie cameras and motorized lenses for movie making customers. Hoppy include backyard beekeeping, try to grow mangoes in southern California, I recently finished replacing all the 80 yrs old single pane glasses (around 12" x 17") with double pane glasses, total around 150 pieces!!!! I put up the terracotta tile roof by myself alone, I also finished my long driveway with pavers. I am working on my 100 yrs old Bush & Lane player piano a full upright. I'm currently planning to replace my 80 yrs old 50A fuse panel with a 200A meter/breaker combo and need help to find the right unit. I also want to remodel my old tile counter top kitchen with Carrera marble and hardwood floor.

That is for now.

Brian
brian49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian49 View Post
SawDusty,

Great suggestion. Ok here we go.
I'm electronics engineer for 28 yrs an going, design movie cameras and motorized lenses for movie making customers. Hoppy include backyard beekeeping, try to grow mangoes in southern California, I recently finished replacing all the 80 yrs old single pane glasses (around 12" x 17") with double pane glasses, total around 150 pieces!!!! I put up the terracotta tile roof by myself alone, I also finished my long driveway with pavers. I am working on my 100 yrs old Bush & Lane player piano a full upright. I'm currently planning to replace my 80 yrs old 50A fuse panel with a 200A meter/breaker combo and need help to find the right unit. I also want to remodel my old tile counter top kitchen with Carrera marble and hardwood floor.

That is for now.

Brian

Holy Smokes!! Talk about an ambitious project schedule. You're getting quite a load of things done. One thing about the electric... changing from a 50A to a 200A service (a good idea), may require a permit. In most locales, you can do what you want to your own home but will need inspection in order to sell the house. Some areas require permit and inspections for the work as it is performed. You'd have to check with your local board. Good luck with it.
SawDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Hi Brian....and welcome.

You and I are in the same neck of the woods....though if I had to guess.....I'm going to say Pasadena?

I've done the upgrade your talking about. It's actually pretty easy.

1. Get a permit. I think mine cost $75
2. Contact SCE or DWP (who ever services your area) and have the engineer come out for a meter location inspection. Before the electronic meters, they wanted the new location to be on the side of the house. Now you have a lot more flexibility. You might be able to put it in your same spot.
3. Install new meter
4. Have it inspected
5. Inspector calls the PoCo and they reconnect you or move the service to the new location.

If your going to put the meter in the same location...it means your most likely going to be without power for a few days. Chances are your old power lines went to these porcelain knobs on your roof....your going to have to replace that with a pipe and weather head.

If the meter is in a different location...then it means you can install the new gear without shutting down the house....then you only have to be without power for a couple of hours while you do the switch over. That is what happened to me.

As for load centers....first time around I used a Murray box from HD. It worked....this time around I used a Square D Homeline series from HD....much better box. It's a 20/40 (20 spaces, 40 ckts) It lets me use tandem breakers.

Hope this helps....and feel free to post up pics of some of your projects.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 274

Welcome to see you here
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,238

That is one way to sneak around their dumb rule of needing 5 posts to ask a question. Congratulations.

WELCOME get in get acquainted, I just started myself recently. on this site. Came here looking for a more usable site. I think I found it.

You sure put in some work on your old place, good for you.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote