Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New HVAC guy from northern Ontario Canada.

Hello, I'm a 37 yr old gas fitter that's fixing up a 1924 house beside a lake in northern Ontario for the next year until we move back to the west coast.

I'm good with the plumbing, heating and electrical but I'm a newbie with everything else because I've always got my friends to swap me labour!

Great forum!

Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Hello, I'm a 37 yr old gas fitter that's fixing up a 1924 house beside a lake in northern Ontario for the next year until we move back to the west coast.

I'm good with the plumbing, heating and electrical but I'm a newbie with everything else because I've always got my friends to swap me labour!

Great forum!
Hi Roddy,
We have a lot in common. I too am 37 and am in Northern On. My house isn't quite as old as yours though and I'm not an HVAC guy. Maybe you have some advise about my plumbing stack. Its a cast iron stack with about 5 big sections somehow fused/welded (?) together. I want to tie my washing machine drain into it but need some advise. I have hot and cold water taps nearby (about 4' away) What kind of venting is necessary along this drain pipe that comes from the washer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ambitious and afraid.

jhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

No way, that's funny.

My dad used to do those stacks as an apprentice in the 60's, it's fused together with lead and oakum. He said it was heavy and slow work, you can get an ABS adapter to hookup your washer drain to a tee. If it's not too far of a run you don't need a vent.

The guy who put one in my addition ran the whole bathroom/laundry/kitchen back 20 feet to the stack without a vent! When someone flushes the toilet upstairs the shower drain in the addition gurgles!

I'll be adding one when I redo the roof this summer.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Welcome to the Site !!
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote