New Homeowner From Southern CA - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New homeowner from Southern CA

Hello Everyone,

My name is Matthew. I am a Paramedic by trade in the Los Angeles area. My wife Stephanie and I just bought our first home about 70 miles Northeast of LA in the High Desert area. We were very excited to buy an early 1960's home because of the great charm and nice, well established neighborhood. One of the things we wanted to do right off the start line was to pull down some walls that restricted the flow of the main area of the home. We moved in 4 days ago and the walls have all come down and we are very pleased with the result. However, now I need to learn several things about construction, renovation, electrical, etc very quickly so that we can clean up this mess we created and make our home just as we envisioned it. I look forward to hearing your inputs and advice and I hope to contribute some of the things I know as well.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Advertisement

MedicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Sure hope you found out if those there supporting walls or not before knocking them down.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

Welcome Matt....

Like Joe said....make sure those wall are not load bearing.

We can understand why you want to start making mods......

But....one of the common mistakes new home owners make is wanting to do everything at once.

Obviously, your committed on this project....but may we suggest that after this....live in the place for awhile and figure out what it really needs....what you want to do today will most likely change 6 months from now.

Once again....welcome.......oh....and don't be afraid to post pics....that is how others learn....and if we see any issues, the experts will be glad to chime in....it's saved my butt more than once...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Sure hope you found out if those there supporting walls or not before knocking them down.
Wow... thought never crossed my mind

... I had 3 separate contractors in my house to verify they were non-bearing walls before I brought them down.
MedicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote