Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
First-time Home Owner

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New homeowner

Hi there, my fiance and I are new homeowners. We had planned to buy a condo, but houses in Pittsburgh are pretty cheap, so we now own a 4 bedroom fixer-upper. The house is probably the ugliest on the block right now, but it's a beautiful neighborhood. We keep taking the next ugliest thing and making it look better, so our house follows the "law of diminishing ugly".

The house is 85 years old, saltbox architecture. It has a few beautiful features (hardwood floors throughout and huge leaded glass windows with a dark hardwood framing) and a lot of things that make us scream (Who thought acoustic ceiling tiles in the ENTIRE house was a good idea? Why are there 6 layers of paint covering a hardwood bookshelf? Why, why, why, does my bathroom look like a high school locker room with little blue and white tiles on the CEILING!?) Most of our renovations have been hitting Ctrl-Z on whatever the previous owners have done. There's been a lot of demolition and paint stripping.

Every day we find some new surprise, so it's been fun. We are quickly hitting the point where we need more advice though, hence coming to the forum. I apologize for our complete ignorance if we don't use the right terminology! 50% of the things we find are still described with the words "thingy" and "dohickey".

Ciera

ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

New homeowner

Hi Ciera,

I myself just signed the "Purchase and Sales" agreement on a new home yesterday (built in 1930).

Congratulations & Welcome to the forums.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
weekend warrior

New homeowner

it's comforting to know that others are in the same semi-sweet, horrible yet pleasing situation of working on a fixer-upper... good luck
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #4

New homeowner

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #5

New homeowner

Just to let everyone know who I am, I am "the fiance" from the OP.

Quote:
50% of the things we find are still described with the words "thingy" and "dohickey".
Give me a little more credit then that ... it is more like 40%
GooperMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #6

New homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera View Post
... The house is probably the ugliest on the block right now, but it's a beautiful neighborhood...
Ciera
The basic rule for getting a high return on a house is buying the one that needs to be brought up to the value of the other homes on the block as long as it is in a desirable area.

A little elbow work and in time it will be the diamond on the block.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote