Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New guy with some ?'s

Hi. new to this site. I am finishing my basesment. I've already got the drywall up, mudded and sanded. this is my first time to drywall but I have to say it looks really good for a beginer but it's not perfect of course. Please give me some ideas on finishing them to cover the imperfections. I have access to a hopper gun but i'm not comfortable doing knock down, Being a beginer. Someone told me to do orange peel, but will that cover good? Thank you in advance!!

Mark.

Last edited by Whatever; 11-06-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Wow! not everybody at once!! Did a search and found what I was looking for.
Whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

New guy with some ?'s

A textued finish will hide allot. If you want a smooth finished wall take the time to get the mud right. Sand it smooth and really in thin layers till you get it nice. You have allready done the mud work you said. Also you said it isn;t perfect. Sand it smooth and use a large knife to spread out the mud further. The little imperfections will either sand out or you can fill them with more mud. I hope you taped the joints :-) some DIYers dont.
When the joints and screw holes are nice and smooth prime with drywall primer before painting. If you can't get the joints smooth keep trying. You have done allot of work so make it nice.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #3

New guy with some ?'s

Thanks for the reply. I did tape the joints and it's preaty smooth. I'm happy with how it is now, I just think it will look better orange peeled. I will prime it when it's dry. Thanks again!

Mark.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #4

New guy with some ?'s

Yah I got agree the idea of texturing helps hide everything. Now as long as you taped the corners like previously said and everything else you should be okay. The only things I do not tape are screw holes and the occassional nicks in the drywall which you can just cover with drywall joint compound which you obviously have already.
tech5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

New guy with some ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did tape the joints and it's preaty smooth. I'm happy with how it is now, I just think it will look better orange peeled. I will prime it when it's dry. Thanks again!

Mark.
Hi Mark,

If you want to hide alot of imperfections, DO NOT do orange peel. It is sprayed on lightly. That means that it will show ripples, pitting, lines, waves, everything. If you want to "hide" more surface imperfections, go with a heavier texture. I would suggest one that is put on with a paint roller and then a texture pattern applied to it. i.e.: skip-trowel
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #6

New guy with some ?'s

Something else to consider. Thank you guy's for the help.

Mark.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

New guy with some ?'s

Mark,

Just so you know, when we do orange peel, our workers are not told it is going to be textured.
It has to be as smooth as normal drywall finishes, in order for the Orange Peel spray to look good.
They are instructed to get the walls coated smooth and sanded, like standard smooth wall work.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #8

New guy with some ?'s

Thanks again. We are not going to do orange peel.

Mark.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #9

New guy with some ?'s

We did the knock down. Wow that was easy and it looks great!! I will prime it today with drywall primer. Thank you again for all of your help guys!!

Mark.

Last edited by Whatever; 11-09-2007 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

New guy with some ?'s

As a Pro Finish Guy......hundreds of jobs ........... I am sure that your first attempt is not as good as you think. Look at your walls.....you see the little chunks of crap left behind......or the spots you missed........or the inconsistancys of knockdown throughout.......Sand the walls slightly.....you can do it now before you prime.....but after is harder but fine also........Oh yea don't forget to touch up the spots you didn't cover perfectly either. Wow....how could I know all this??????? Just kidding a bit here... Just wanted to let you know that as with the smooth walls....there is a level of rightness with textureing.
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #11

New guy with some ?'s

It looks great not perfect. I already primed it before I got this last message. Oh well. It looks fine as is. Thank you.

Mark.