New Guy Here, Avid DIY'er - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New guy here, avid DIY'er

Hello all, first time posting on here. With as much DIY that I do and as many online forums I'm already on for various other things (cars, electronics, etc) you'd think I'd be on a home improvement DIY forum already, but nope.

Anyway, name's Patrick as you can tell. The GSR94 is my car, a 1994 Acura Integra GS-R about to turn 300K miles next month. It's my handle pretty much everywhere all over the internets. My wife and I (and now 1-yr old son) have been living in a house I bought back in 2005, and we've done little improvements here and there over the years. The house is 9 years old and very cheaply built (part of the housing boom in the first half of the last decade), so I make the best of what we have.

I'm an architecture intern (working on taking all the registration exams), been working at my current firm since 2004. We do pretty much only commercial buildings, so I've been around my fair share of job sites, contractors, etc.

I'm a HUGE DIY kind of guy, partly because I love to do it, partly because my near compulsive level of perfectionism and attention to detail necessitates me doing it myself, and also partly because we usually can't afford hiring someone else to do the work anyway. My favorite shows on TV right now are the Mike Holmes shows - Holmes on Homes and Holmes Inspection. I've learned quite a few things from watching these shows, and I continually wish I could work with a GC on a project with as much attention to detail as this guy.

So far on our house we have added hardwood flooring to the living room, hall, and master bedroom and closet. I have redone the master bathroom (paint, custom trim, floor tile), and also redone one of the smaller bedrooms for my son's nursery (custom trim and paint). In a couple of weeks I'll be tiling the kitchen, laundry room, and pantry to replace the nasty old vinyl flooring that was in there. The other bedroom was redone as a home theater right after I bought the house. It's small but it's great for movies, and my wife and I both love it.

Also planning on redoing the master bedroom with all new custom trim (base, casings, crown, wood cased windows to replace the gyp returns, new paint, drapes, etc). Hopefully some time this year.

I have discovered that one of my favorite things is cutting and installing custom trim. I have plans to replace all the door casings and add window casings to all windows to match what is already done in the master bath and nursery. Anyway, here are a couple pics of our humble abode.

And a pic of the window trim in the nursery:

Advertisement

PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

Welcome! You will spend alot of time on this website as the pros on here and yes there are alot of contractors on here will walk you through about any problem you have. I have used this site on all my basement remodel. Have fun with it and good luck.

Advertisement

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote