New Guy Here - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New guy here

Hi. My name is Jason and I'm a first time home buyer in Denver. Recently purchased an 1896 Victorian Cottage in one of the hottest locations in Denver for re-sale value. I purchased my home through a short sale where the previous owner bought the house for 160k and was able to get a second mortgage for 350k and then went under. It is a prime example of the fraud that got us into the housing crisis. The previous owner updated the kitchen which was the selling point for me. Other than that, nothing that the previous owner did was correct or to code. No permit history since the 1930's.

I have high hopes for this restoration project but lack deep pockets. I hope to as much of the work on this place as I can. My brother was the one who was given the gift of construction and currently works for a construction company back in Ohio. He is my go to guy and I have a ton to learn. I spent more time at the library trying to educate myself as much as possible about all aspects of home construction. After seeing what the previous owners did to this house, I want to make sure what I do is right.

Here is a quick list of my ambitious projects I have lined up:
-Restore an entire bathroom from the floor joists and repair the existing foundation (currently in progress)
- cut new windows and french doors leading to a balcony from the master bedroom (sort of in progress)
- replace rotted balcony from master bedroom and extend a few more feet.
- replace porch columns with more victorian era appropriate columns
- tear down a brick wall in the front of the house that, without a doubt, does not match the house
- spray foam insulate entire house
- install direct vent fireplace in living room and master bedroom
- repair and re-finish beautiful old growth wood floors in living room
- install new hardwood flooring in both upstairs bedrooms
-tear out and redo entire upstairs bathroom to code
- re-wire "updated" electric
- re-plumb entire house- install proper sized copper piping and proper sized and sloped DWV
- re-install torn out woodwork- era appropriate
- Re-landscape yard including chopping down the various "tree of heaven" trees that are known to overtake neglected neighborhoods.

The list will go on I'm sure. But I have definitely learned the true cost of doing all of these projects. This is why I'd like to do as much as I can on my own.

Advertisement

JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

New guy here

Wow = you'll be busy for a while.

Welcome to the Forum.

Advertisement