New Guy - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New Guy

Just wanted to say hello, I am a plumbing and fire protection engineer from a major MEP firm in Boston. I am in the process of buying a short sale home in the suburbs. Yeah, short sales suck, but me and my wife are DIY'er's and love a challenge. If/when we close on this place,(it could take days or months to hear back from the bank) I will have a list of projects a couple pages long to do over the coming years. This house was originally built in 1850, and there was a major gut reno down to the studs about 5 years ago where they replaced all the walls, ceilings, windows, upgraded the structure, electrical and plumbing, replaced the heating system and added central air, and renovated the bathrooms and kitchens, so the interior will only need minor work to personalize it to our tastes, but it is move in ready. There is a couple areas that need attention or weren't finished off, like the fireplace hearth is missing, and we want to move a couple things around in the kitchen and redo a couple floors, paint some walls new colors and so on. The basement and the exterior is where 90% of the work will take place. The basement is a dirt floor, and the foundation is made of dry stone, with the original brick water cistern down there. The original outhouse that is attached to the back of the house is still there from 1850! The property is 1.1 acres, and it looks like it hasn't been touched in 50 years. Old dry stone rock walls and concrete retaining walls are collapsing, the forest has reclaimed 75% of the property, and the yard is a mess of brush and rocks everywhere. I see a ton of landscaping work in my future!

Advertisement

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
is a mess of brush and rocks everywhere. I see a ton of landscaping work in my future!
Then this is also in your future
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote