Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
just a tool guy

Share |

New to the forum

Hey all, I've lurked around here from time to time, figured it was time to step out of the shadows and participate.Just hope I can contribute as much as I've received
Mick

mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
DIY staff

New to the forum

Welcome! Join right in!----Mike---

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

New to the forum

Welcome to the site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
just a tool guy

New to the forum

A lot of the forums I participate in have threads relating to who and why we're here. I didn't notice such a thread here so I thought I'd throw the first pitch. I'm also quite bored as it's 4:30 AM here and I can't sleep so...I found my way to this forum via Woodworking talk. I've been involved with the trades nearly all my life.Left home at thirteen when in my youthful mind I realized I could make more money than my teachers in the (then) booming housing industry in SoCal. Back then there was not too much of an issue with kids on a job site. At seventeen I was an accomplished framer, and applied and was accepted to an apprenticeship program with local 44 (studio propmakers and carpenters) Still have my card somewhere, not that it did me much good, EEOC reared its head, and as I was a junior member I was bumped by every disadvantaged minority member that came along. Fell on hard times and enlisted in the Army of these United States for almost twelve years before poopin' in my nest and getting drummed out(although with an honorable under dubious conditions) Jumped out of planes, chased bad guys through some nasty places, etc.
After my Uncle Sam informed me that he no longer required or desired my services, I found my way back into construction, eventually starting my own framing company...only to realize that my boss(me) was a complete business idiot. After paying off the guys, the banks, etc, I was broker than broke. Got a break with a growing land surveying/engineering company in the southeast.
Skip forward another 10 years...lack of formal education did me in, couldn't pass the tests for my LSIT and was given my walking papers once again.
Still had my old Estwing, and though my nailbags were a little stiff from hanging in the shed, went back to banging nails. Whole 'nother world!!! The quality of construction was, in a word, appalling! Never seen such...and realized I didn't fit in this "brave new world".
About the same time my wife started getting sicker and sicker, and while the money was was good, without insurance(still pretty rare back then and there) I had to make a change. Started in a machine shop, sweeping floors and watching and learning. Math skills from surveying, and a willingness to try got me into the milling department in a gear and machine shop where we did well. Moved on to setups in BIL's job shop and eventually landed at Porter Cable/Delta first as a machinist, and later a reconditioning technician( the guy that fixes the tools that the guy I used to be screwed up). When Black and Decker bought out PC/Delta, I elected to stay on for a while and set up the new Delta Industrial Reconditioning Operation down here in Texas. Got riffed after it was set up, lot's of young hungry guys across the river who were willing to do my job for a lot less dinero. Heard a couple years later that the whole operation was scrapped, and sent back to Tennessee.
Guess the guy that got my job wasn't as good as me...even if he did work for half what I made. Get what you pay for I guess. Now as I stand at the other end of a long road looking back...I have no regrets, although I might have made other choices knowing what I know now. The moral to this story? Hell, there aint no moral...I told ya'll It's 4:30AM(now 5:30) and I'm bored
Still and all I hope to contribute to this group, lord knows I've learned a lot cruising the old posts.
Thanks for havin' me
Mick

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mickey cassiba For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-24-2011)
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

New to the forum

Can someone help with info on how to change my pass word?
hammer6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

New to the forum

Thanks I found it. Moving on
hammer6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

New to the forum

Warm Welcome for you.

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote