New To DIY Website, But Not To DIY In Practice! - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Ms. Moneypit

Rewards Points: 10

New to DIY website, but not to DIY in practice!

I am thrilled to have stumbled upon this site. I hope to learn from those with experience in old home restoration and share some tidbits of my own. Our home was built in 1890, bought the house while prices were still sky-high and "as-is". The woman who lived here prior, god bless her heart, did nothing for the 40 years. Pros and cons to this situation. Location, location....

I am fortunate to have a retired master carpenter for a father because I really cannot afford to hire much work out. As a child I grew up in total renovation, constantly. I guess it can be hard to really complete remodeling when it's your own home!

We love the idea of keeping original fixtures, appliances, etc. For example we have a neat old bathtub without an overflow (gasp from the pros) that we will try to keep. We love plaster rather than sheet rock both for the look and soundproofing. I guess it's popular to be green right now and we sure are salvaging what we can!

Can't wait to learn more from all of you. Thank you!

Advertisement

Alida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alida View Post
I am thrilled to have stumbled upon this site. I hope to learn from those with experience in old home restoration and share some tidbits of my own. Our home was built in 1890, bought the house while prices were still sky-high and "as-is". The woman who lived here prior, god bless her heart, did nothing for the 40 years. Pros and cons to this situation. Location, location....

I am fortunate to have a retired master carpenter for a father because I really cannot afford to hire much work out. As a child I grew up in total renovation, constantly. I guess it can be hard to really complete remodeling when it's your own home!

We love the idea of keeping original fixtures, appliances, etc. For example we have a neat old bathtub without an overflow (gasp from the pros) that we will try to keep. We love plaster rather than sheet rock both for the look and soundproofing. I guess it's popular to be green right now and we sure are salvaging what we can!

Can't wait to learn more from all of you. Thank you!
I would love to tackle a project like that. The headaches you will inevitably encounter will all be worth it when you have a beautiful finished product. Unfortunately, I am not anywhere near skilled enough to handle a project like that on my own. Good luck...take lots of before and after pics and share them with us in the project showcase forum!

Advertisement

toeey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Welcome Ailda,

as one who ownes (well me and citimortgage) a much new home than yours, I have a 1908, we can share our neverending discoveries and adventures.

as you advised:
"I am fortunate to have a retired master carpenter for a father because I really cannot afford to hire much work out. As a child I grew up in total renovation, constantly. I guess it can be hard to really completenow remodeling when it's your own home! "

I share that with your dad (kinda), the 81 year old deaf mute that taught me was a Master Carpenter... no matter how old or good I get, I will always feel like an apprentice. I've been in the 1908 for some 30 years
now, and can maybe explain to you why the renovations in your own home took so long while you were growing-up. After working hard giving it your all working on others homes, when your dad came home... he really needed a break from it..not more of it... kinda like the cobblers kids running arround with out shoes. It's great that the two of you will be able to have this adventure together.

Stay safe and I hope the money flows so that the restoration goes smooth. Old is usually big. Sometimes it will feel like a big inverted money pit.

Bob

Ps. I left St. Paul MN at the tender age of five for the sunny suburbs of Chicago many years ago. Did the Johnson family own your old house?

Last edited by Big Bob; 03-19-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the site.