Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Natural gas water heater-winter maintenance

Hello! Wondered if someone could lay out step by step instructions for draining and cleaning out my gas-fired water heater. Hot water delivery to the bathroom has slowed down over the past two weeks, with no apparent relationship to weather (cold). Thanks.

Boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #2

Cool

I turned off the gas lever so it's perpendicular (cross ways) with the gas line coming in. Turned off the water valve immediately beside the tank.

Turned off the gas and water lines coming onto the property as an extra precaution.

Took a wrench and undid the gas line, then capped it off with a flare plug just to be safe. (Do not use pipe dope or tape to any flare connections.) Turned the gas back on and bubbled the plug with soapy water to see if it was leaking - no bubbles.

Removed the leg pipe that was hooked to the relief valve because it was blocking the drainage pipe.

Wrenched the white plastic drainage "screw" because it was too stuck to turn by hand until the water started to drip out. Hooked up my garden hose. Turned the white "screw" even more and the water ran out through the hose. My rose plants are happy now.

Turned out that my property valves to turn off the water weren't working (too stuck open - too old) , so my trees/plants got a good watering. Called the water company and they arrived in pretty good time to turn off my water at the main by the road.

Tomorrow, I'll really drain the water heater, unhook the rest of the pipes and haul the water heater's metal butt out of there. It leaks and it doesn't heat. It's a gonner.

Does that help at all?

Kasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Try shutting off the heater, then drain and flush it a few times. You may have a sediment build up. Sediment in the bottom of the tank can act as an insulation of sorts preventing proper heat conduction.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the input Armchair and Kasin. I read somewhere that I could turn the water back on, once it starting draining, to allow a full flushing. Good idea, or no? Also, I'm shy about how to relight the flame, so I've put off starting this project. Any ideas as to where I could find such instruction, as I don't have the book on this? Again, thanks for responding!
Boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Yes, I usually turn the water back on to flush out the water heater for a couple of minutes.
Lighting the pilot light is not difficult. Most brands are basically the same procedure. But try a google search for your particular brand and model. Maybe you could find exact specific instructions.
Don't worry it's not difficult or dangerous, you can do it.

Edit: Actually you do not need to shut off the gas supply to drain the water heater. Turn the thermostat to the pilot position. The pilot light will remain lit, but the burner will not ignite. Drain and flush the tank then set the thermostat back to the desired temp.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com

Last edited by ArmchairDIY; 11-24-2009 at 08:44 PM.
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote