May As Well Get Comfy, I'll Be Here A While - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

May as well get comfy, I'll be here a while

Long story short, my partner and I (we've been married for 5 years as of last week) are about to move in to an old house that my mother just bought.

With this crazy economy combined with a somewhat non-traditional family estate that I will someday inherit half of, the circa 1900 two story Victorian solves a few problems with long term family plans.

1. In the short term, it allows my partner and I (who are not in a financial position for home ownership any time soon) to put our rent dollars and elbow grease toward at least building equity and making improvements on a property that I will inherit someday.
  2. In the long term, it enables my mother to gradually transition from her rural and independent widow's life out in the country. When I say out in the country I mean way, way out. 2 hours from the nearest hospital or stoplight. Someday she'll grow weary of chopping so much firewood every year, or keeping the shotgun by the door in case a bear tries to break into the horse feed again.
  3. It is a buyers market and you can get a lot of house for not necessarily a lot of money. Mom was able to cash in some investments and paid cash for a foreclosure with some renovations already underway and a lot of potential. It needs a lot of work, but see point #1.

We're already underway with our first big project, which is a major remodel of what was previously a very small and worn down bathroom. It is the one thing that has to be done before we can move in.

The old tub and vanity have been removed. A portion of one wall has been knocked down to allow a small expansion to enable a custom tile shower stall. The toilet is being rotated 90 degrees and a new pedestal sink will be installed at a different location with respect to the old vanity. All associated plumbing will be updated in the sub area.

Other fun things on the horizon include, in no particular order:
  • Putting in a propane tank and replacing the electric heat, water heater, and range. (We looked at natural gas but it would be at least $6000 and shutting down half of a street just to get it to the curb)
  • Replacing the powder-post beetle damaged hardwood floors in the living room and dining room.
  • Updating all but 2 small windows in the house to double-paned.
  • Hunting down and eradicating all K&T wiring (the entire 2nd floor + at least the downstairs bathroom)
  • Sanding and refinishing the hardwood floors in 3 of the 4 bedrooms.
  • Building a 2nd full bathroom upstairs out of an existing half bath and a large completely unfinished room that was previously used for storage.
  • Knocking down a wall or two to make the 2nd floor into more of a loft-like space.
  • Digging out the foundation that is still touching bare dirt around the back bedroom and building a retaining wall around the new trench.
  • Ripping up and redoing the linoleum in the kitchen, breakfast nook, and laundry room.
  • Tiling the kitchen counters.
  • Adding a lot of interior trim and painting everything inside and out
  • Rebuilding the front porch.
  • Adding a carport.
Now I'm exhausted and we haven't even moved in yet.

Some personal details might be good.

My partner and I are both 37, and quite young at heart. We're both avid gamers. We have reached our maximum quota of pets (5 cats, 2 dogs). We live in Humboldt County, California on the beautiful Northern California coast, just south of the Oregon state line.

I have a BS in Zoology but my profession is Internet Security & Fraud, and I work from home. My partner is a composer and pianist and her day jobs are as an Admin for a Unitarian Universalist church and playing piano and giving the occasional sermon at a Unity church.

Nice to meet you all!

Advertisement

Last edited by KissMeKate; 06-02-2012 at 04:38 AM.
KissMeKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Welcome--You will need to post some pictures soon--sounds like you have a nice place---welcome to the site!--Mike---

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I do have some pictures but they were rather hurriedly taken one day while we were still in escrow.

I did add one recent shot once we'd removed the old tub from the bathroom just last week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kate-an...7629453775475/ - exterior
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kate-an...7629453799751/ - interior 1st floor
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kate-an...7629089130194/ - interior 2nd floor

I'll have better ones soon.
KissMeKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Simple and clean lines---You can make that place very comfortable---

The antique houses always have some challenges --join in start a thread when you have questions---Mike---
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Welcome.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Welcome!
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Greetings and Welcome to the Forum.

Advertisement