DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Make a cyclone fence safe for my pups not to dig out under it.

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  J187 
#1 ·
I have just had installed a cyclone wire fence for the purpose of keeping my three pups in the yard without leashes. The first time I left them loose they tried to dig under the fence,so it still isn't safe to let them loose. I am going to try and put some rock infront of the fence and then do some plantings. Any body have any other suggestions? Thank you.

#3 ·
fence

Hi,
I already have a new fence but have to deal with securing the bottom. Our landscaping is uneven in so many places, which I like and looks ver nice but with the fence it would leave higher spaces every so often when they put it in. I have found one solution and that is to put rocks alone the fence and then plant some perenials. Looks good too but more work to do than I thought I would have to do. I have cats too but they don't go outside and are very satisfied to be inside and two are 20 years old.
Thank you for answering my plea.
Dorothy

#4 ·
I have 3 border terriers who love to dig. I have had to buy short, inexpensive fencing from the hardware store to add at the bottom of the standard fence.

Bend the new fence in half length wise. Fix part of it onto the stardard fence and lay the other end out onto the ground. WHere possible bury the ground portion. But since that doesn't work for most of us, the advice I received was to find some L shaped or U shaped brackets/nails or something similar (long "somethings") to "nail" over parts of the ground side of the fence. I found the "nails" didn't always work well for me so I used rocks and logs to help hold it down.

You can check the AKC website for listserves for your breed of dog. People on the list serve might have a better recipe for the extra fencing. I got my info from the border terrier list serve.

Susan

#5 ·
This is a sure fire cure, but it will stop your dog from digging in the yard period. When the dog digs a small hole under the fence, put a pile of the dog's own feces in the hole and cover it. Next time the dog digs there will likely be the last time the dog digs at all - dogs will not dig where they have there own feces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.