Lord Help Me! - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lord help me!

I just purchased a home that is 85 years old, maybe even older. loads of charm and in great shape. 3000 sqf 12 foot ceilings and coal burning fire places. I've never seen a coal burning fireplace until now. Under the dry wall is a solid wall horizontal cypress boards. The whole house is make of cypress. You all will be hearing from me a LOT.

Advertisement

edfoxx68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
HarryHarley

Rewards Points: 75

Lord help me!

Well, sounds like a good find. Be patient and take your time.
We love pictures here!!

Advertisement

HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Lord help me!

Here's some pics
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Lord help me!

Where is the house located? Did you get a good deal on it, its a beautiful house. Just curious about the price and location, looking to purchase a new home, but, not sure where yet. Good Luck!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #5

Lord help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
Where is the house located? Did you get a good deal on it, its a beautiful house. Just curious about the price and location, looking to purchase a new home, but, not sure where yet. Good Luck!
Actually I'm in the process of buying, waiting on another offer that the realtor says she thinks will fail. They have one week left, they had a month. My brother has a house next door just as old but has twice the land. He paid 60 3 years ago.
It's near Baton Rouge La. After I get it I'll tell you the price.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Lord help me!

exciting and scary huh? I was supposed to close the loan on my fixer-upper today, but it got pushed back two more days. i can't wait to get the 'ol sledge hammer out and tear it up!
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lord help me!

I absolutely LOVE the style and look of older homes.
In the near future: I...er...'we' ... 'um the'......ah... boss (the wife)...have decided to keep an eye out for a nice older home...and that is fine with me....tho, they always need some amount of work and that takes time.

(Wife always comments on all the unfinished projects at the current home...
"hey... I work on homes all week long....why do I want to come home and do that?" )

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-21-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #8

Lord help me!

I want to keep it the same style as much as possiable. The home I have now had wooden window and I replace them all, even the doors. But not this time. I may cover them with storm windows after I restore them.
The front doors on this home has old New Orleans style french doors with screens that I'd take down, strip and refinish. The glass in those windows are like an antebellum's home glass, it's somewhat distorted. This gives some idea of it's age, though the windows could have been reused from an older house.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #9

Lord help me!

I'm in a very similar situation. I saw two big old houses on a real estate website. I thought the prices were misprints, $32,500 for one and $36,000 for the other. I went and looked at them and noticed they had been neglected, but for the price I just had to have one! I called the realtor and she told me that a woman had inherited both houses, she has never lived in either one. One house was built in 1900 and the other in 1903. The 1903 home is a little bigger and with a slightly larger lot, it was the $36G and had already been sold. Someone else was negotiating on the 1900 house, but it fell through so I made an offer of $28G and the seller accepted. Now I'm going through the loan process and if all goes well the house is mine. Like I said, the house has been neglected, but what I saw was mostly cosmetic. However, there are some major issues as far as heating and cooling. There are 5 chimneys, I only saw 4 when I first looked at it. When we did a walk through, I really wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the fireplaces, I was looking at so many other things. I did look at the fireplace in the living room, it looked kind of small, had an ornate brass looking "screen" (I don't know the technical name for it, it covers the fireplace opening) with a copper gas line coming out to a freestanding gas ceramic space heater. There's a setup basically just like this in the dining room and in two bedrooms upstairs as I recall. Later I noticed another chimney towards the rear of the house, but I don't recall seeing another fireplace inside, obviously there is though. I assumed they were originally woodburning fireplaces, but I've been told that most likely they were coal/coke fireplaces. Like you, I had never heard of this. Now I have to decide the best way to heat/cool this house. It's about 2900 sq ft, two floors.
wcb7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #10

Lord help me!

Great find.
We have 2 fireplaces that uses 1 chimney. The house was built in 1907.
Check to see if 2 of your fireplaces are on the same wall back to back. If so it shares a chimney. The other 2 may be in different areas of the house and are single chimney. Our home had floor ducked heat that was removed. I installed none vented automatic gas space heaters and electric heaters. Also installed a few window units and portable A/C-heat units. These are great as they don't stick out the windows. Down south we don't need a lot of heat but we may upgrade to central later.
We did some remodeling in 3 rooms, but were damaged in the storm.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #11

Lord help me!

Sorry to hear about the storm damage. Luckily I didn't get hit too bad.
I think I got a good deal, there's a ton of work that needs to be done before I can even move in, but, for the price that's to be expected. The foundation and roof are in good shape. A little settling, but not real bad.
None of the fireplaces are back to back. In the picture you can see the two that are in the upstairs bedrooms. There are two more on the right hand side, hidden by the tree, Those are in the dining rm and living rm. There's one more in the back of the house. Five separate chimneys.
I was wondering about the floor duct system you mentioned. Was it efficient and why was it removed? And if you upgrade to central, how would you run the duct? I just want to get as much input as I can so I can decide the best route. I'll be doing as much as I can myself, so cost is an important factor.
Yours and mine are about the same sq. footage, mines about 2900 sq. ft. I think. It's two story, high ceilings, lotsa big rooms, four bedrooms upstairs, two bath. It's gonna be a nightmare I'm sure, but in the end it will have been worth it. Hopefully.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #12

Lord help me!

http://www.mehvac.com/Products/Categ...tCategoryID=24

We had 100 mph winds and the house did well. A few broken windows and lots of shingles. Some rain damage but luckily most areas affected needed work anyway so it may be a good thing in the end after insurance. There is a large new home ($200k+) about 2 miles away that lost itís whole second floor, so yes we both got a great deal. We have settling also but itís acceptable after 100 years. Ours is a one story but with it sitting almost five feet off the ground, 12í ceilings and a 9í attic it looks two story.
My brother in laws house next door is just as old, he has 3 separate fireplaces. Unfortunately the chimneys were taken down when a new roof was put in. The floor duct system was already gone when we bought it. We have two 220v units that does not affect the look of the home, the rest you canít see at all. We like the way we can control what room we want to cool. If we did get ducted C/A we can duct in our attic. At our other home we have a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim ductless air and heat which is a central that runs small coolant lines instead of large ducts, plus it 120v. You can zone cooling and heating with a remote in each room. Itís also a dehumidifier. This is the way we would go if we got central. It works great and is super quite. Click the link at the top of the post. Just take one room at a time like Iím doing. Itíll be fine.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Lord help me!

Atlantic WBC... be careful... the honey do list will never end ...and home needs to be a haven... from all the problem solving... it ain't no fun to come home and get back to work...

I ended up with a 1908 in NE FL. 1 of 20 in the state with a full basement.(brick floor built after the great fire) Balloon frame.rough cut heart of pine...brick veneer.. 6' open eave w/curved tails ..Hip roof with 3 dormers.. and an Octagon, enclosed in the 1950's porch,..Pickwick paneling and jalousie glass.
My good friends at the historical commission advised leave as is, or take it back to open 1908 conditions.

1908 , Coal fireplaces must have been the thing... I have four that share two chimneys. Found anther behind the plaster during the 24K hard cost kitchen redo...old rough brick.. might have serviced the wood burning stove the maid cooked on... with arched opening now serves as range alcove. We still eat at home 4 days a year.

One of my cast iron FP covers is a really neat bare breasted Greek goddess...My wife hates it.

I can't believe the cheap prices around Red Stick, LA.
I spent the mid 70's there...and loved it. I look for good CA ( Cajun) cooking every chance I get.

The cypress construction for that area from that era does not surprise me.

poster did very well.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #14

Lord help me!

The asking price was $68K, we offered $70k because someone made an offer for it before us. We won. It's valued right now over $100k.
When we're finished it'll be worth more.
Attached Thumbnails
Lord help me!-living.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #15

Lord help me!

BigBob, I'm real curious about the fireplaces, do you use yours? Can they be used as woodburning with (or without) modifications? Would gas be a better alternative? There are ceramic gas space heaters all over the house, I'm just not real crazy about them. Or should I just abandon the fireplaces altogether and go with some sort of more modern type, baseboard or forced air. Edfoxx said his had floor ducted heat at some point, I guess that's an option too. Air conditioning is another issue, but right now I'm just trying to find out all I can about heating and I'd really like to use the fireplaces if possible.

Advertisement