Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Accident prone

Share |

The long, dark road of renovation.

My name is Bryan and I'm not great at anything, but I'm pretty good at lots of sfuff. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, but I'm a woodworking/metalworking hobbiest and I know just enough about home renovation to be dangerous. I hope you'll stop me when/if I attempt something moronic.

My wife and I recently bought a fixer-upper in Northern California near Sacramento. We live in Southern California, but we'll be relocating within the year.

Specs:
1700sqft
2-story
5 bedrooms
2 car garage
Built in 1974
Colonial...ish
0.32 acre lot
Rural location

It was a foreclosure and had been vacant for several months. During it's vacancy, several cats stopped by to use the house as a toilet/hostel. We got a great deal on the house, but it needs a lot of work.

Major issues:
Needs a new well
Septic has an unknown problem
HVAC system needs work, but how much work is an unknown
Evidence of plumbing problems upstairs

The good news:
The house is structurally sound
Electrical looks good so far

Progress:
Before the well can be installed, the trees near the well site had to be removed. These trees were OLD and had very established root systems. My father in law owns a backhoe which helped, but there was plenty of shovel and chainsaw work involved.

Here is a video of the stump removal at about halfway through the first stump. Pardon my French, but tree removal brings out the sailor in me. Mute if you are easily offended. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwhnEZuSONY

Once the trees were out and the property was cleared, we started the demolition. First to go was the back porch overhang that looked like it was built by 4th graders. Next, we went inside and started removing EVERYTHING...

Here's a "virtual tour" courtesy of my wife. Again, excuse the language...sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvIy5WEqmw

Since the last video we've torn up the MDF that covered all 1700sqft of subfloor. That was no easy task, but it had to go. The subfloor looks good in all but a few locations. I'll be working on the house again this weekend and I'll take more video.

I've been lurking this site for quite awhile. Long enough to know an information goldmine when I see it. I'm looking forward to soaking up some knowledge on my long, dark road of renovation.

-Bryan
Curb Feeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #2

The long, dark road of renovation.

nice to meet you welcome wow lota roots in that stump!good luck with the rehab
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote