Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #1

Share |

A little advise please....

Hi! I live in a 97 single wide manufactured home. I have done a bit of "minor remodeling" already to it. I have owned it since it was new but it was a rental for a little while. So it's been painted and new light fixtures, new flooring etc.
My home is NOT on a foundation () and this causes me renovation concerns.

For instance, I want to put in a walk in - tiled shower...so I am concerned about the weight and the tile cracking...and that's just the start of my plans.

Can you comment on the probability of this being successful??

Thank you

Michelle

mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #2

I think it is only fair to point out that the chances of someone helping you out in terms of the tiled shower relate to a few things, one of them being what you have now as a foundation....you say you don't have one, but what would help us is if you tell us what you have...I mean, what, a crawl space?

But that aside, no matter what foundation you have, a properly-done tiled shower has a lot to do with the support underneath the floor (it has to be real solid), the disposal of the plumbing under there, the access to it etc. Normally we go with a good examination of the floor structure and try to double up the joists - or add support. The we figure out the plumbing requirements then beef up the floor itself.

What we're trying to do is make sure you don't get leaks and/or cracks in the tile grout - as both can lead to premature failure and mould problems etc meaning a tear-out in 5 years. And few people, knowing that, think that a tear-out in 5 years is 'fine' so most go with the best installation they can afford...

And that means "waterproofing"; there are a number of modern techniques and products out there that we use to promote what we call the '50 year shower' being a shower that outlasts us all - because it is waterproof. Water is the enemy and is best controlled at this stage: the planning stage. It might cost an extra grand to do it right but that's cheap compared to a tear-out.

Tell us more - with pictures if you can- and we'll go to work.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #3

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

My home is on blocks, cinder to be presice, upon dirt...so it's less than fun to be crawling around under there.

My master bath has a "garden tub". I keep thinking the garden tub when full has to weigh a great deal- I would remove the tub and put the walk in shower there...

I worry about the trailer shifting...Every 5 years or so I have it leveled...or the weight of the tiles and blocks being too much for the flooring...So that is why I would need to have it reinforced I'm guessing...

Upon another discussion last night...as my plans are just begining...I was wondering if it's possible to put the house on a foundation at this point-- as later on I would love to add a room?

I will be happy to provide pictures...but what do you want them of? The blocking? The tub??

Thanks!
Michelle
Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #4

Well, I reckon I'm getting in over my head when dealing with homes that you have to level every couple of years...no experience there.

But if you already have a 'garden tub' then I presume there is enough suport under there to support the weight of the bathtub+a person so the walk-in shower should be fine, since it is bound to weigh less. But if it shifts, there is a concern about tiles cracking - but I'm not sure.

But I think if you put your exisiting home on a true 'foundation', there would be critical structural issues to deal with if you plan eventually to put an access to a room down there...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #5

eeesh....sigh...thank you....I wonder if I should leave well enough alone....
Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #6

You may already know this but in home ownership, by virtue of the magnitude of things there are to do, this adage is very true: "one thing at a time".

You can easily have that precise reaction if you think of all you'd like to do compared to the cash available compared to the complexity of each one...alot of people just put everything off. Like me a bit...

We'll be able to do help you with a shower, no problem. A good DIY project to enhance your confidence!