Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

license requirements to become a general contractor in Illinois

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and was just wondering if anyone would be able to answer a few questions regarding general contractors licensing. I will soon be asking a ton of questions regarding a gut rehab project I have coming up.

I have been in real estate for the last 8 years. I am a mortgage broker, a real estate managing broker. I have a partner and we are starting to purchase foreclosure and rehab to flip. I have mainly done cosmetic work, (paint, trim, doors, floors etc...) but I am looking to possibly take it to the next level.

I want to save myself even more money by becoming my own contractor doing the majority of the work. Does anyone know the licensing requirements to get a general contractors license in the state of illinois? I have googled it, but it mostly says that building contractors don't have to have a license. I will have all the necessities in place such as, business, insurance, workers compensation etc...all set up but I am not sure what I will need to do to keep it all in house. Any starting points would be helpful.

billiesellshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,178

license requirements to become a general contractor in Illinois

http://www.clsi.com/state_contractor_license_board.htm

google is you're friend

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
contractors license, general contractors