Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Just what I was looking for!!

Hello everyone! I am so happy to be here!

My name is Cara and I am 32 years old. I live in Omaha, NE and I love the home improvement shows. I am grateful for any advice.

My father passed away when I was 12 yrs. old and left our current home to my mother, and 2 other siblings. Since then, the home has become extremely run-down. My mother had no money and no way of easily maintaining the home over the years. Sadly, she passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 53 leaving the house to just us children.

I am desperate to find simple, cost-effective ways to boost the value of our home. Like most people these days, we live paycheck to paycheck and are desperate to find ways to save money. I have absolutely no experience in home repair but I am a quick and sharp learner.

Thanks for accepting me and I hope I can eventually, offer help to someone else within the forum.

-Cara

caralopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Pictures would help everyone, you can get the biggest bang for your buck by painting inside/outside and a good cleaning. Clean up the lawn and landscaping, trim low hanging tree limbs, weeds, shrubs. Then prioritize what items inside the house that need done, lights fixtures, faucets, bathroom fixtures, kitchen countertops etc.

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,010

Welcome to the forum!

I also love the Home improvement shows. Just keep in mind they are shows. Nothing is as easy, or goes as smoothly as they show.

I also love the Habitat for Humanity Re-stores. If there is one near you they are worth checking out.
FWIW, I keep a small notebook in my purse with my wish list measurements. Everything from the backsplash I want to replace to doors, windows, etc. Then when I have a couple extra bucks and go shopping, or come across something at a yard sale, I know if what I am looking at will fit or work.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello Cara and welcome to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

There are many very helpful souls that enjoy helping others through this forum, please ask away, any question you might have I am sure you will receive direction to help remedy your problem.

A picture is always worth a thousand words, so if you can post a photo or two, it helps everyone understand more completely.

Mark
Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote