Just Registered - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Just registered

Hi everyone,

I just registered about one minute ago at exactly 11:00 a.m. LOL. I live in a condo built in 1972 and the kitchen and bathroom looks exactly like you stepped into the 70's! I bought the place five years ago and have done nothing but hire a friend to put in Pergo floors in the kitchen because the floor had huge 12 x 12 red and white squares. When my friends moved me in, they jumped around the floor as if they were chess pieces. Now, if that wasn't a clue that I needed to change the floor! Oh, and it had a matching red Batman phone! That quickly went into the trash.

Well, I am finally somewhat in a position financially to upgrade the kitchen. The appliances are also original to the building. The stove and dishwasher are an ugly green. The dishwasher died last year (a part fell out and then it caught on fire) and I said I would wait until the the stove died before I get new things. The oven stopped working this summer. So here I am ordering stainless steel appliances. But, these new appliances need to have cabinets and countertops to go along with them. So I would like to paint the cabinets myself and have a contractor do the countertop. Just direct me to the "painting cabinets" section. LOL.

After the kitchen, I'm looking at regrouting, recaulking, replacing the 70's vanity, and 70's light fixtures in the bathroom. So I'll be back with questions on that next year.

So sorry for the long introduction. In summary, I'm a girl who likes to take on challenges. I don't like it when people tell me "oh, go get your boyfriend to do that for you." I want to learn how to do things. So I'll see you around the forum!

BlueJello
(points for anyone who can guess where I came up with this login name! )

Advertisement

BlueJello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Just registered

Sounds like a few good projects. Don't be at all intimidated by them. You can definitely do any of that. I assume you'll be replacing the sink and faucet as well when you do the countertops? What material are you thinking of for the counter?

When it comes time to work on the bathroom, I'd strongly suggest you consider removing and replacing the tile. 30 yearold tile is probably not stuck very well (probably applied with mastic to plywood or drywall), so doing a lot of work to regrout it may be wasted effort. Be sure to evaluate whether the tiles are really well attached before you get into regrouting. Retiling is easy to learn, so either way you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Advertisement

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Just registered

Thanks for the confidence!

Yes, I was planning on replacing the sink and faucet. I was told that the sink would be torn up with the counter. I would really like a single handle faucet but have two handles now. Is it possible to convert to single handle easily? Also, anyone know what four-hole installation and three-hole and all the other installation types mean?

As for the countertop, it would be nice to get something like granite but since I can't afford to get new cabinets right now, it didn't make sense to shell out too much money for that. I was told to look into Formica. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks so much also for the advice about the bathroom tiles. I will definitely keep that in mind next year.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #4

Just registered

Single-lever faucets use the same hookups as 2-knob faucets. You should be able to just remove one, and hook up the new one.

You should select your faucet first, and then get the appropriate sink to match that faucet. Many kitchen faucets use 3-holes, although some use only a single hole, which gives a nice clean look. The fourth hole is for a sprayer, or soap dispenser. Can also be used for a garbage disposal switch.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #5

Just registered

Ok...so what's with the Name? There has to be a story....
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #6

Just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Ok...so what's with the Name? There has to be a story....
I'm a closet sci-fi fan, well actually, I'm a sci-fi fan who doesn't want to admit she's a sci-fi fan. I've always thought of sci-fi fans as this stereotypical geeky-trekky-loving-klingon-speaking nerd. Long story short, blue jello is the favorite food of my favorite character in my favorite show -- Stargate Atlantis. But I was recently corrected and was told that it was also the favorite food of another original Stargate Sg-1 character.

(P.S. -- I don't watch Star Trek -- only Stargate.)
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just registered

Hi Blue, Welcome to the site.
PS- I love Sci-fi Too.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #8

Just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
...blue jello is the favorite food of my favorite character in my favorite show -- Stargate Atlantis.
That's great! Welcome aboard...keep us updated on your cabinets...post pictures if you can.

Advertisement

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote