Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Lemme make it

Share |

Jill of all Hobbies

Hi, my name is Renate (pronounced 'Ruh-náh-ta'), and I love to tackle any kind of DIY project. Besides doing every craft imaginable (sewing, knit, crochet, beading, as well as painting 'real' art that hangs in galleries), I've also been a certified custom picture framer, and dabbled in simple construction projects. Now my focus is in remodeling our house end-to-end. I am married, but since my husband's work glues him to his computer, he only helps when I need something lifted that is too heavy for me. I'm not complaining, mind you. He pays for all the materials!

I like to do things right, and I'm all about overkill. If something needs a certain amount of support, reinforcement, or whatever, I'll double it, or at least go a few steps farther, to be safe. I think if something can be done, then why can't I do it myself? I don't want to know the easiest way to do something, I want to learn how to do it the best and safest, but while I'm at it, I like it to be the most creative it can be. That's the artist in me coming through. I would rather complicate a project and spend more time on it, if I think that would make it more unique and impressive. If it requires more patience, then other people are less likely to copy it, meaning it'll still be a one-of-a-kind.

I'm a perfectionist, but I don't get freaked out if something goes slightly awry, unless I can fix it. I know there's usually several ways of doing things, and I frequently try to use materials in unconventional ways. I often 'borrow' materials to be used in ways they weren't original designed for. But then there are often right ways to do certain things with no exceptions. That's mainly what I'm here for. Finding the right ways and input from other commenters to let me know how much leeway I can expect when I have an outlandish idea.

I have just installed a pocket door in a bedroom/bathroom wall, and am currently learning to do some simple wiring in that wall, adding plug receptacles, switches, and ultimately installing crown molding with rope lights. Then I plan to make an indoor water fountain and water wall (separate projects), tiling a bathroom, learning to do drywall, install harwood flooring, well... just about everything.

Glad to be here and I look forward to learning a lot!

Renate

Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
the Musigician

Jill of all Hobbies

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You should check out the craftforum too, you'd fit right in there!
(see below)

DM

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Lemme make it

Jill of all Hobbies

Thanks DM. I'm glad to be here. I looked over the Craft Forum and was particularly impressed with an individual working with wood and also a steampunk jewelry artist. While I work with many of the elementary materials of others on that site, I don't think I'm interested in that level of craft right now. I think I will focus more on the home remodeling DIY stuff rather than eating up a lot of time, seeing what others do with doilies and wine corks.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Experienced

Jill of all Hobbies

Welcome aboard the best DIY'r site on the net!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Jill of all Hobbies

Welcome to the site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote