Introductions - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

introductions

Hello to all, I'm a single mom trying to fix a bad problem with the least expense possible. I live in a very old house and fear the repairs may become more expensive than the money I save by living here. Thank you for the input on my recent questions. I guess i should have been a little more forthcoming with my info on my flooring. I think maybe I didn't want to hear how serious my problem probably is. When my son and I jacked up our sagging hallway we noted some serious wood rot. I'm worried that it is completely unrepairable without major work. The crawl space is about 3 foot deep down to a sand bottom. We live on an island and all of the wood deteriorates terribly plus living in the south you always have the termite factor and with my house being so old well I just know thats part of the problem. I simply can not afford a major overhaul right now and am afraid we'll end up laying in the sand some unsuspecting night under the house. Will post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks for the input. Can I brace rotten joists with new 2x8's with any real hope of it helping? The floor has dropped as much as two inches in some places and because of the rotting wood in the hall we were only able to jack it up about an 1 1/2 inches. I'm probably looking for a miracle answer that isn't possible. Anyway, thanks for the input again.

Advertisement

DAPSALAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

introductions

Hello and Welcome to the site.

To orient things for you, this is the introduction section. New members make a post introducing themselves here by giving a little background and sometimes a little personal information about themselves.

However, specific questions related to home "issues" and repairs are posted in a separate section. Such as how you already have done here: http://www.diychatroom.com/showthrea...297#post202297

So, what we will do is add the related information that you have listed on your introduction to your earlier post (in regards to your floor sagging problems).

Advertisement