Installing A Toilet On A New Tile Bathroom Floor - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Installing a Toilet on a new tile bathroom floor

This question is probably basic information for veterans but we are researching replacing our current bathroom floor tile and then putting a new toilet in. My question is the order in which you do so. Do you tile the bathroom floor first (not tiling where the toilet will be replaced) or do you replace the toilet and then place the new tile around it? Having not done this type of project before, I am not sure the best order in which to do it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by saltrl; 06-21-2011 at 08:27 PM.
saltrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Hi Saltri,
Tile the whole floor, grout and seal. Toilet goes in last. jToilet sits on top of the tile.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph
Hi Saltri,
Tile the whole floor, grout and seal. Toilet goes in last. jToilet sits on top of the tile.
Mike Hawkins
I agree, toilet sits on top of the tile. As far as caulking around the bottom of the toilet, I have heard both ways to not do it and to do it. I steer towards not caulking it because if there is a leak down the road you want the water to run onto the floor so you know there is a leak rather than just traping it all inside and finding out too late. Sometimes I run a bead of caulk around the back half of the toilet just so you get any shift.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote