Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
DIY Junkie!!

Rewards Points: 150

I'm a real glutton for punishment!!

Hello to all from YerDugliness!!

I say I'm a glutton for punishment b/c of the task I've undertaken. My mom died 5 years ago and left me the family home in a remote area of SW KS. I considered selling it, contacted the only real estate agent in the county, and was told it wasn't worth his time listing/showing the house but that he would sell it as part of an estate auction. Well, the county valued the house at $3,700 at the time (it is a 100 year old house, originally a basement house to which a "ground" floor was added sometime before 1916), so I decided to keep it and upgrade whatever needs to be improved--which for various reasons seems to be EVERYTHING!

Anyway, I just embarked on an electrical service upgrade that ended up costing around $2K, not counting the $550 cost of the electric HWOD unit that necessitated the electrical upgrade.

In the meantime, the county devalued the house to $1,170 b/c they think it is "uninhabitable"--except for the 60 days/year I spend there (usually 2 or 3 weeks at a time), it's been vacant for the 5 years since mom died! I've not told them that it is now fully functional, SHHHH!!!

Next year I'll tackle the water service--new supply line from the meter to the house, replacing the current rusted/corroded galvanized supply pipes with a PEX-like product called "Onix", including installation of the "Onix" radiant product for an under-floor radiant heating system.

I recently retired, so I have time for this endeavor, which I shall attack a month at a time.

Adding to the aggravation of this project is the lack of options for service and supplies in the area--it took a local hardware store, which employs the only electrician in the area, 5 weeks to get to my job, which took them only about 6 or 7 hours. They are the only game in town, though, so they can do exactly what they want, and there were certainly bigger fish than me for them to fry !!

Well, anyway, I suspect you can expect to see me in the Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, and even the Home Theater boards from now on--

Why don't we have a board for solar/alternative energy?????

Cheers from YerDugliness to "all y'all" (that's the plural of "y'all", for those of you who may not speak Texan) who choose to do things for yourself!!

Dugly

YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Welcome to the forum

Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Edie

Rewards Points: 25

You definitely have some fun times ahead of you, Dugly!
EdinDesign is offline   Reply With Quote