DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I'm not into home improvement. I'm into shack improvement.

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  flyboy2610 
#1 ·
Howdy folks. My name is Scott, I'm 30 and until very recently I made my living as an over the road truck driver.

I spent a bit of time over the last week lurking about and getting the lay of the land here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here doing beautiful work on their beautiful homes. I like to look at project threads and see all of the creative ways people make their homes nicer, more comfortable and more valuable. That said, that isn't where I am at all.

In 2005 I bought a house for $1000. That isn't a typo. $1k. What kind of house do you get for $1k? Exactly what you'd expect: rotten, dilapidated, funky, damaged, ugly and devoid of even a single square foot of level space. It does have a few saving graces, though. It's in a very quiet location with what is probably the best view in town and most importantly it's SUPER CHEAP to live there.

So that's where I stand. I certainly love to check out the projects you may be working on in your lovely level home that comes with all the classic trappings of domestic bliss. Just remember that I am the guy living in the ****** shanty on the side of the hill. I'd really love to talk to you about how to replace a sole plate when it's already under two feet of dirt or how to put up an effective vapor barrier when your basement is nothing more than a large mud pit with a house on top. If that's your cup of tea, hit me up.

See less See more
#4 ·
hard to sleep in a bulldozer bob....

it sounds like you have the same place i used to live in! NOTHING level or flush! you get used to using tricks to make things LOOK level and flush...... and to retrofit things that were not done or done right.

DM

#6 ·
"Cat food" is what we call yur' purchase around here... :jester:

Seriously though...., 30 years ago a bought a lot with 3 "shacks" on it... it's been.. well... a "30 year all your spare time project", but the result has been worth it.

#7 ·
Thats why there are so many DIY Forums around. The people here are great for getting correct answers to problems. My house was a Repo. The guy that built it was a brick mason. Did great brick work. Problem was, he "thought" he was a Plumber, Electrician and Carpenter. Livable, and a great "project" house though. Good luck with your projects.

#10 ·
Soundsd like the rental I used to live in. The owner is a good friend of mine and he gave me a real break on the rent, in exchange for me doing a lot of work on the place.
Very little of the house was plumb and level. It had 2x4 rafters. I ran into more of those "What were they THINKING?" moments than I can count. So I know where you're coming from!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.