DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Introductions (
-   -   I found a wonderful site!! (

luvinlife 12-19-2008 08:09 AM

I found a wonderful site!!
I was doing a search to solve a problem with a very noisy and irritating rooftop vent and came across this most wonderful site! It said that registration was free and easy!! And it was all for people who like to do their own repairs and work around the house!! And then after I registered, I was encouraged to come introduce myself. While looking through the topics to make sure I do this right, I see many people from Canada, some even from my back yard, High River, Alberta!! I am Kathy, I live in Calgary Alberta, Canada!! I am a classic DIYer and am very excited to find this site. I'm sure you will be lifesavers many times over again!! To be more specific about my problem, I have one of those round, slotted, turning things on my roof that I believe is some sort of roof/attic fan/air remover. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it right now. It frequently makes a very loud and irritating squealing noise, mostly when it is windy out and I suspect the wind is either pushing it too quickly or maybe it isn't working right and is trying to turn, but can't. It's only about -40 outside, could possibly be frozen, but the problem did start on a very windy day in the summer, so I'm not sure it is frozen. Can anyone remind me of the name so I can find how to fix this thing and then get the landlord to do the job?? My sanity thanks you from the bottom of its heart!! :yes:

Wethead 12-19-2008 08:44 AM

Sounds like the shaft bearings maybe going,

The are also called "pillar block bearings"

Welcome to the forum!

luvinlife 12-19-2008 09:22 AM

Thanks Joseph!! I think I finally remembered the name of this thing and that is a "whirly bird roof fan". So, if the bearings are going, does that mean it can be fixed or needs to be replaced. I have a very large house and this is not one job I will do myself. So, for this I will have to find someone. But, I'd like to know what's in store before I start calling!! Thanks again for your help!! :thumbsup:

Wethead 12-19-2008 07:49 PM

Yes, you can hire an HVAC company to either change the bearings or replace the unit.

I have no idea how big this unit is, but if its a smaller one you might just replace it for the same cost.

I would just call around and find someone to come over that does free estimates :)

majakdragon 12-19-2008 07:57 PM

These units are Turbine vents. You will probably need a roofer since it is not actually an HVAC unit. The bearings are permanently sealed, meaning they may not be able to be repaired. Good news is that they cost about $50 plus labor to install. Most can be installed in less than an hour. You can search online for Turbine vents for any info you need.

slickshift 12-19-2008 08:00 PM

Hi Kathy!
Welcome to the site!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1