Howdy All, 1st Home At 50 ?!? - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
OregonThe Shower me state

Rewards Points: 25

Howdy all, 1st home at 50 ?!?

Hello everyone,
Well finally got my ducks all in a row and recently learned that I was eligible for Fed VA loan so after all these years took the plunge at long last and bought (buying) our first home. It was built in '68, not an auspicious year I know and had some renovations since. Found some artifacts in the garage loft that I recognized to be from the '70's namely a wading pool with a distinctive '70's pattern and an old pair of Goodyear Polyglass tires, both under the thickest layer of dust I've ever seen. Took a couple of hours with my shop vac before I started stowing our stuff up there.
Finding a few problems undiscovered during the home inspection (in which I took part) and the disclosure process. Nothing that can't be handled, just will take knowledge/time/money.

Sure am glad to find this Vbulletin forum. I belong to others and am used to the format. Thanks to Nathan for the welcome aboard.

Advertisement

Last edited by Turbogus; 09-25-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Congratulations and welcome.

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 628

Welcome
Pretty exciting and can be overwelming when getting your first home.

If I may make a few suggestions I'd give to any first timer.
Start on the outside before cold weather sets in to make sure your home is water tight and sealed.
Start at the top and work your way down inspecting it. Check all the vent seals on the roof jacks, check condition of any flashings, if there rusted or there roofing tar all over then replace them or get someone to replace them. That a sure sign they have been leaking.
Check all the siding for rot, damage, peeling paint and fix it.
Air seal the whole house, which just means spraying some expanding foam in any holes where wiring, plumbing were run through the floors or top and bottom plates and around any ceiling lights or fan where installed.
Do a Google search on "insulation zone map" to check to see how much insulation should be in your attic. Add more if needed.
Concider installing replacement windows if you have old wooden windows.
Make sure you have both unblocked soffit vents and a ridge vent on the roof.

Now you can work on the fofo stuff inside.
The reasons I made these suggestions is, everyone of them will help prevent damage to the inside of the house, and there going to save you money in the long run not cost you.
When working inside until your up to speed on how to do repairs and start to get all the tools your going to need stick with one room at a time and stay away from the bathroom and kitchen for a while until you have lived in the home long enough to see what does and does not work for flow and layout of the area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Hi Turbo Welcome to the Forum

Helps to post pics, check out how to Post pictures in the How To section.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
OregonThe Shower me state

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the welcomes all,

Here's a front shot of the place;

She's got a new roof (2nd) new Hardee siding, new vinyl windows, recent gutters and at least 20 inches of insulation in the attic. I followed the home inspector all around including the attic and crawl space. One concern that's cropped up since is sediment in the hot water and an under slab gas line beneath the original back porch (now a spare room) no permits found and it's reckoned that the addition (on the slab) was done in the late '70's. I have more posted on these issues on other sections of this forum.
We did go so far as to swap out the old Tappan drop in oven for a more modern Kitchen Aid flat top freestanding oven we got from Hab 4 Hum for only $80 clams.

Last edited by Turbogus; 09-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new home.

Advertisement

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awoodfloorguy For This Useful Post:
Turbogus (09-26-2012)