Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

Hopeless Newbie

The title of this says it all -- I like to "do it myself" but I'm not very good at it. I logged onto DIYchatroom because I have to fix a garage door opener (the gear turned by the worm drive is totally stripped)and I was looking for some tips. A service call was about $200 and the part was available for $33, so I'm taking a shot at it myself tomorrow.

poppersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #2

Hopeless Newbie

How did you make out with it?

Angie1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hopeless Newbie

Hello Hopeless Newbie,

Welcome to the DIY Chatroom.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #4

Hopeless Newbie

hi
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
Oldguy

Hopeless Newbie

Welcome to the site. You are obviously not 'helpless' because you have already figured out what was wrong and how to order the correct part!

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Hopeless Newbie

BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #7

Hopeless Newbie

welcome to the site.....it beats renting check this repair site out http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.html
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #8

Hopeless Newbie

Welcome to the site...Please to meet you!
AnthonyStanley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #9

Hopeless Newbie

Hi Pop!

New to site myself. I'm a professional handyman, which simply means I get into just as much trouble as a hobbyist, but I charge people to do it. *stupid grin*

On your garage opener gear replacement; BEFORE you tear it apart and attempt to replace components, make sure you have figger'd out WHY the gear stripped. Otherwise, instead of an old stripped gear, you will now have a new stripped gear. The most likely culprit is binding on the door's upward travel. This is usually caused by:
A.) Worn out/broken wheel(s)
B.) Worn out/broken, original imbalance of tension in the lift-assist springs (remember, the door opener DOES NOT lift the weight of the door). This applies to both extension and torsion systems.
C.) Misalignment of the tracks (settlement, physical trauma, improper original installation
D.) Improper original alignment of the opener track, causing increasing frictional wear as time goes by
E.) A foreign object somewhere in the tracks, both the door tracks AND the opener track
F.) Binding of one or more of the door hinges

Add'l food for thought - if the opener is old, consider replacing the whole thing. It's been my experience that the very second you repair one component or aspect of an older opener, invariably something else goes South - motor windings, switch assemblies, bearings, etc.

A word of caution here; if your system uses torsion springs (horizontal, mounted accross the door opening) DO NOT attempt to adjust/replace them, they are notoriously dangerous. Yes, there are instructions out there for DIY'ers, but if you've never worked on them, it can get very scary, very quickly. One mis-application of a pair of visegrips or winding "sticks" and BAM!, you're in the E.R., spending money you should have given to some fool like myself.

Just some suggestions based on a few years of breaking other people's garage door openers and then charging them for it. *really stupid grin*

Christopher
windowelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Hopeless Newbie

I did it! I replaced that garage door worm gear thingy. Not quite all by myself -- my very competent DYI-ish neighbor acted as consultant, when I couldn't get the door to run its complete cycle after installing the new gear. But it works great now, and I wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the welcome encouragement and advice. I am a big fan of dyichatroom now. Thanks again for everything!
poppersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #11

Hopeless Newbie

G' morning hopeless, I noticed you stated the "gear" that turns the warm drive was stripped, I just thought I would add that the most common problem I have run into is the actual "Travel plate" that rides the rail would strip, because it's made of plastic. Good Luck!
g.gauvreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
the Musigician

Hopeless Newbie

i just replaced a cheap one like that with a chain drive. the gal is MUCH happier now.

DM

Tags
garage door opener, newbie question, worm drive