Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Idiot Emeritus

Share |

Hi there, from northern Nevada

I'm Rob, live in Fernley, a small town about 30 miles east of Reno. I'm 51, spent most of my life in the construction trades one way or another.

For the last 18 years I've been employed as an electrician, mostly commercial/industrial. My specialties are motors, generators, and controls. I've done enough houses, remodels and such to know what alot of you are going through. Alot of work, but way worth it in the end. There's no feeling anywhere like knowing something works because of your own efforts. It doesn't matter if its a power plant (where around 3000 control wires must all be terminated correctly) starting up the first time, or turning on a simple light switch the first time. The sense of accomplishment is well worth the effort.

This is a good site, not alot of oversized egos here. I really enjoy helping someone through something DIY. You'll have to forgive me though, alot of my posts are somewhat techno-babble-ish. I've always believed that if you can get someone to understand how something works (and even better, why it works), they'll be better able to figure it out themselves as they go along. This is especially true with electrical, there's alot of mysticsm in this trade, but it's really quite simple and logical.

Rob

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Forums.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Windows Plus

hey welcome
Kenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #4

Hi Rob, I have recently acquired a craftsman 3500W generator and it is missing a valve cover and the pull cord and was wondering where can I go to get replacement items? also a repair manual?
rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #5

Rob,

I have a deep well pump most likely a franklin 1HP Says on control box. The pump stopped working I checked the power to control box which has both run and start caps, potential relay and a rest button three terminal. The amp draw on yel wire is 10A, check the res of each yel blk and red all seem within range 10, 2 12

I tried to check the caps out of circuit but nothing no needle movement goes to 0 but but not back The thermal reset show 0 in all button positions

no indicated shorts to ground wire from motor. Strange voltage readings across the yel to red of over 300v, but only 240 at teh contactor and l1 and l2 inputs.

Any Ideas?

Howard
OWLHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

just wanted to say u seem very knowledgable and seek some of your wisdom i also have a problem with my well pump and havent figured it out i have done some testing of the resistance on the drop cable and they seem within ranges and no ground faults. I have a thread started if you can help that would be greatly appreciated.
plumbdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Wood Butcher

Hi Rob from Tx. Have you ever gone to the Reno air races. Nice area. Welcome to the site. I'm 55.

robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote