Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Texas Native

Rewards Points: 10

Hi from Sugar Land, Texas

Hi all,

My wife and I just moved out of our 1980-built home in Spring, Texas -- which had been upgraded/repaired throughout during my 7 years there... to a "new" 1973-built home in Sugar Land, Texas (these are both suburbs of Houston, but on opposite ends of the city).

The house is a small 1200 sq/ft partially bricked house with a 500 sq/ft addition added to the back, making it about 1700 sq/ft, 4 full bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 1 "office/study" bedroom (which you must now walk through to get into the addition, so it can't be a bedroom).

There are LOTS of things I'd like to do to the house within 2-3 years, some of which would be quite expensive to pay contractors to do entirely. I would like to learn how to do things. I'm pretty handy mechanically speaking if I know how things work BEFORE I begin. For instance, I performed a brake job on my 6 month old car once (it was a sports car, the brakes wore down fast), after reading "how to's" on line and seeing pictures. It was my first brake job. I'm less experienced with house stuff! In fact, I feel helpless when I look at A/C wires or plumbing or woodwork !!

Thing we need to do that are "big" jobs:
--Rennovate kitchen w/ new cabinets, countertops and appliances. Switch to "tall" cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, due to a fairly small kitchen area (we need the extra storage space).
--Rennovate master bath to make the walk-in shower larger and reconfigure the closet arrangement.
--Reconfigure the master closet to also include the adjacent closet (eliminating a closet in that room, which is only for guests who dont' need a closet)

TONS of little things that I won't even go into here.

Some concerns at the moment.... cost of cabinetry itself, sheetrock work costs, carpetry costs.... My biggest pet peeve at the moment is definitely the dated kitchen. It has nice new tile, but everything else is pure 1973 and not in great condition, either. It's also too small with inadequate cabinet sizes. I'd like to do as much as I can by scavenging for deals and learning how to do things myself.

I hope to learn lots from people on this forum

-Michael

ZeroTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi from Sugar Land, Texas

Hi Michael, welcome to the site.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote