Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |

Hi people. Have 1950s house that is in sad shape for 2012.

I'm at retirement age. Now it's time to try to fix up as much as I can, my 1950's cinder block with brick veneer house. (un-reinforced masonry walls are not too good in earthquake country.)

About me: I am 63, disabled due to a work injury: one hand can't support much more than 3#s.

I was totally naive when buying. I accepted what owner & realetor told me I didn't know I need to have my own inspection.

there are problems everywhere, from no electrical ground--two conductor Romax, but three prong sockets--to walls that have some sort of plaster, that's more like a mortar, over a metal lathe that's on a cement block wall with brick veneer--which makes the inside walls only 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp.

The house really should be torn down (as a new neighbor did with his) and one built that is modern. Not being able to do that ($$$$$$), this will be an ongoing DIY project.

I'm not expecting to be able to do miracles, but the help I get here will be invaluable.

bob98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Well your not alone, there's lots of us right now just getting by.
One day at a time.
It should be a law that there has to be an independent inspection done on every home and be payed for by the seller. Shame on the realitor for not suggest having one done.
I also suggest to anyone selling the house to get one done so they can address all the issues before the closing not after.
I see it all the time when someone ask the realitor to suggest an inspector, big mistake, hire your own.
In my area there's an orginization that helps older or disabled people with winterizing your home, may want to look into that.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Wow - Sorry to hear of the coming ordeal.

Yes, a home inspection would have really helped (water under the bridge now....).

Welcome to the site that can offer you a lot of help.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote