Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Unci

Share |

Hi from Off The Grid Tennessee

I may end up spending a lot of time here! I live in East Tennessee. The end of April this year, my fiance’ and I decided to follow a dream once we obtained 22 acres of land. With absolutely no building experience, we decided to build a one room home, with no electricity or indoor plumbing. We started the first of May and moved in by the end of May. The home is not completely finished, but we have no regrets at all. We have the best outhouse this side of the Mississippi! It even has running water that we collect from rain. We collect rain water from the roof of the house, for baths, dishes, laundry and animals. We raise chickens. We process all of our own foods. We have built the house with no electricity for saws and such. We cut most of the wood with a chain saw and nailed every single nail by hand. We love our home. Unfortunately, we lost Jimmy, who was 72, my Father figure and the only one of us who had ever built anything. He died of cancer just last week. That leaves us and my 27 year old daughter to finish the house with no experience, but I KNOW we can do it. We have the root cellar dug, we are digging the Spring and will put a Springhouse there, we will also build a Smokehouse as well. We are having a blast and at 46 years old, I am so happy we decided to try out our dream to see if it was all we thought it would be…..and so far…it has surpassed all our dreams. So hello to everyone and ….expect lots of questions!

Forest Breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi and welcome to the site. It seems that you are re-defining the concept of DIY, and putting us all to shame.
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I hope that all of us here, can help you out in some way. I take it you must be accessing the internet at some public location.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Unci

I can access it from my office at work 30 minutes before and after work for personal use.

Not putting anyone to shame, trust me, I have had more head shaking and ridicule from our decision than support. LOL

But we are so happy and love our home more than you could imagine. Every time I take my bath off the back porch or trot out to the outhouse in the middle of the night I am so thankful we have such a good life that we could live this dream.

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by Forest Breath; 09-04-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo queen
Forest Breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Living life simply has it's own rewards....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote