Hi, New From Upstate NY - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, new from upstate NY

I love all the information that is available in the forum. Hopefully I will be able to help someone sometime. Does anyone have a suggestion for my college student son to fix a badly sagging couch? Appreciate any ideas that don't require me buying a new couch! Thanks. Laurel H

Advertisement

laurel h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Hi, new from upstate NY

Hi and welcome,I too am from beautiful Upstate NY!.I am also new to this forum and it's great. To continue things in common,I have a daughter attending college in Virginia and am familiar to fixing things long distance! As far as saggy furniture goes,as long as it's just something thats for college use and not an expensive piece it should be fairly easy to fix.Try turning the couch over to see if any framing is broken.If so,new pieces of lumber can be scabbed on to "beef up" the frame.The bottom lining material,if any, may have to be cut off to achieve access to the framing.Plywood could also be cut to fit between the cushions and the springs to shore up support.These are "redneck" fixes at best but hopefully good enough for college!

Advertisement

white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
not a total Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Hi, new from upstate NY

When I was in college, (also in Upstate NY), we had a tremendously sagging couch. If it has a wood frame underneath, I'd suggest buying a bunch of screw-eyes, and a bunch of rope. Put pairs of eyes every foot or so down the length of the couch under the cushions (one in front, and one in back), then simply tie one end of the rope off on the first eye, and lace it up like a shoe. I'd skip every other eye so you can double back and make an XXXXXX pattern. I hope this was clear...worked for our less-than-attractive couch for 3 years!
space_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi, new from upstate NY

Hi and welcome to the site...sorry, can't help with the sagging couch dilemna....
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, new from upstate NY

thans for the suggestions. They all sound good- I would never have thought of them. I will pass them on to my son.Lauel
laurel h is offline   Reply With Quote