Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
nes

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hi, new owner builder here

I posted this the other day in construction but wanted to say hello here too, & see if yall had some thoughts on this.

Quote:
window placement ?
Hello, I am really glad I found this stie...I have enjoyed reading through the posts.
Had some questions about window placement. We are in the process of building. We are gonna have a walkout basement w/2 floors above it. Does the layout of the doors and windows in my walkout basement have to match up with the windows and doors on the next floor? Or is it ok for them to not all match up from floor to floor? Also we will have french doors in the center of our house (living room)but does each side of them have to match also (one side is a bedroom and the other is kitchen)
Thanks,

nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Does the layout of the doors and windows in my walkout basement have to match up with the windows and doors on the next floor? No
Also we will have french doors in the center of our house (living room)but does each side of them have to match also (one side is a bedroom and the other is kitchen)
Thanks,
It is always nice to have a balanced look but with a bedroom on one side and a kitchen on the other I would think no problem at least it wouldn't bother me

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
nes

Thanks!!
To make the windows look right in different room I don't think I am gonna be able to make them match from on floor to the next. It don't bother me but just wondering what others thought.

I will probably have tons of questions before we are finished with this. lol
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #4

Good question I never paid attention to notice if mine does. lol but welcome to the site.
New2dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Welcome to the forums.

Standard design practice is that windows should be aligned (as Darylh wrote).
It creates a balance, symmetry on the exterior of the home. Even dormers on roofs are supposed to be aligned to the windows below them.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
nes

Oh no, I may be in trouble. lol
Now I am trying to figure out how to make my stairs work (where I want them to go) without hitting your head on the slope of my cath. ceiling. lol
Can that part of the ceiling be stick built different in that area to give me more headroom?

We have a builder coming Saturday to give me a price on framing. I will have lots of questions for him. lol

Thanks for the replys yall, I enjoy talking about building and learning about the different ways to do things. I think I have about drove all of my friends crazy talking about this stuff.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
nes

We live on the water, this is the what the side will look like facing it. I did this with the Punch program.

Keep in mind I am still playing with the placement of the windows and doors.

I guess in a way will will kinda have 2 fronts, lol the water side and the road side.

Last edited by nes; 07-17-2007 at 09:08 PM.