Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Share |

Hi from New Hampshire!

Hey all, new to this forum! Bought my first house about 18 months ago (and spent the last 12 of them on a work trip 3000 miles away!!)

On the 7 day aniversary of my purchase, I came home to a house full of smoke from a boiler that hadnt been cleaned in 5 years and exhausted out the front cover! (a good cleaning got me through the next month until I had it replaced...luckily I had that in mind when I bought, and got a check from the seller to cover this cost!)

Ive also replaced the majority of the single pane windows in the house with pella thermastars as well as the GIANT 12' sliding glass door with a more heat loss friendly 8 footer.

My next project involves relocating my electrical panel and doing a partial rewire:
http://http://www.diychatroom.com/f1...rewire-152572/

Other projects I have planned include:

Tearing out the poorly installed floating hardwood floor (and water damaged linoleum that is still under it! ) In favor of a retrofit radiant floor heating system on top of the slab, and large diagonally laid porcelin tile in the kitchen/dining room.

A large stone patio (I have Belgard Arbel in mind) with a multi level deck, and a pergola over the patio.

It will be an adventure to say the least!

freeclimbmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #2

Hi from New Hampshire!

Welcome to the real world of home repair.
Where in NH are you? I'm orginaly from The Hillsboro area.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Hi from New Hampshire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Welcome to the real world of home repair.
Where in NH are you? I'm orginaly from The Hillsboro area.
Born and raised south of keene, Bought out on the seacoast.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Hi from New Hampshire!

Hey, sounds like my tale!
Bought a foreclosure, knew the boiler was bad, so swapped that out.
Then moisture had built up over the years in my elec panel, so two breakers would arc...so swap the panel out!

Now working on flooring, and other things (like the single pane windows)
Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Hi from New Hampshire!

Sounds like fun!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi from New Hampshire!

Welcome to the Forum.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Electric Radiant Heating

Hi from New Hampshire!

Welcome! If you have any questions regarding the floor warming system, feel free!
warmsmeallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #8

Hi from New Hampshire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsmeallup View Post
Welcome! If you have any questions regarding the floor warming system, feel free!
Do I ever!

So the original idea is as follows: I know Ive seen a product advertised that is a bunch of ~1/2 plywood sheets clad with aluminum that have grooves cut out of them to run pex though. So after I remove the existing floating floor, and chip up the old linoleum, I would put down some sort of moisture barier, then these plates, then quickset, and finally tile.

The biggest draw back to this plan as I see it is the fact that I am effectively raising the floor height by about 2-2 1/2 inches! Im short so Im not worried about hitting my head on the ceiling...but thats gonna make for some really bad looking lines at the kitchen cabinets.

I just had another thought as I am typing this that is WAY more labor intensive...but materially cheaper. (or should i say less expensive)

I could strip/prep the floor, and as opposed to using the plywood plates, rent a concrete saw and slice and dice half inch grooves in the slab. Yes, this is a HUGE undertaking as far as time and work, but I think it might almost be worth it to save money and added floor thickness. Not to mention, with this plan, I could avoid having wood against concrete (in the event the barrier leaks)

Just brainstorming here...Ive got nothing by time to plan this one out and do it right ONCE!

On a related note. All of the plumbing in the house (drain wise) runs though one interior wall. I have a large room on the other side of the house half a story in elevation above the outlet to the settling tank where I want to install a master bath. I have plenty of run space to get the proper amount of angles for drainage, but this plan would require me to cut/chip up the concrete in the 1st floor half bath in order to tie into the existing plumbing. Is this an accepted practice? or am I out of luck adding another shower and head?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Hi from New Hampshire!

Our suggestion is to spend more time researching your type of window. Pella does not provide any customer service. You will see all the 1000's of families that have been negatively effected by their purchase once you research further. Please avoid causing your family these types of problems!
gsmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Hi from New Hampshire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsmeallup View Post

Just had a little cost analysis discussion with a co worker, and realized that electric heat is actually more cost effective than forced hotwater with an oil fired boiler.

This is great news for me becuase electric heating mats are so much simpler and thinner than forced hotwater (and save me from building my floor up by another 2-3 inches between the tube and all that goes into the tile!)

So the room I would be heating with radient floor (electric) is a large L-shaped room that includes the dining room and kitchen. The space is slab on grade, and currently a poorly installed cheap floating laminate floor. The plan is large 16"-18" diagonally set tile. What are your thoughts on heating this floor? (product, cost, etc)
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Electric Radiant Heating

Hi from New Hampshire!

What's the total square footage of the floor you wish to heat?