Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Share |

Hi from Missouri

Hi from central MO.

My name is Dave. My full time job is as a production welder for a major manufacturer of heavy equipment radiators. My son (who also has a full time job) and I operate a small, part-time, grounds maintenance operation--mowing, trimming, edging, fertilizing, shrub pruning and light tree trimming. We are considering adding handyman service. That would help out in the winter months. The goal is to get a business started that my son can do full time, and when I retire from my welding job I can join him doing as much (or little) as I feel like.

I stumbled onto this site by accident just recently, and have found it to be very informative, professional, and friendly.
Many of you sound much more experienced than I, so I may not have much advice very often for many of you, but I'll be lurking in the shadows reading and learning and contributing when able.

Thanks for the site and Happy New Year to everyone!!

Dave

EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #2

Hi from Missouri

Welcome to the Chatroom. We all learn from each other. The friendly folks here are helpful and always willing to give the best answers and sometimes opinions to your inquiries. Again, WELCOME.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Hi from Missouri

Hi EZ Welcome

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #4

Hi from Missouri

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
Tileguy

Hi from Missouri

WELCOME EZ.

I too am originally from the SHOW ME.

You and your son might consider ceramic tile installations as a part time thing for now with thoughts of going full time later.

I specialize in ceramic and stone tile and find it most enjoyable.

The biggest thing is knowing and understanding there are rules for successful tile installations and if you are interested in following it on-line for a while I can point you in the right direction. Learning and education is the key to success as a professional tile installer. Anyone can do it but doing it right is the way to go.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Hi from Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
WELCOME EZ.

I too am originally from the SHOW ME.

You and your son might consider ceramic tile installations as a part time thing for now with thoughts of going full time later.

I specialize in ceramic and stone tile and find it most enjoyable.

The biggest thing is knowing and understanding there are rules for successful tile installations and if you are interested in following it on-line for a while I can point you in the right direction. Learning and education is the key to success as a professional tile installer. Anyone can do it but doing it right is the way to go.
Thanks Bud,

I HAD been giving that some thought. We bought a rental house two years ago (my son rents it for now) and we did some updating in it including in the bathroom. It was built in 1950, and had plaster walls with about 6 coats of paint on it. After removing all the paint, I tiled it with some of LOWE'S cheap tile but it looked pretty nice for my first try. I did enjoy doing it--I was slow, but I took my time trying to get my lines all straight. Later, I found another forum that deals pretty much strictly with tiling and showers, and I found that I may not have done everything QUITE like you pro's would have done it--but it was a learning experience, and an enjoyable one. I would most definitely be interested in following along on-line to learn the correct way to do it.
My dad always said, "If you're going to do a job, do it right, or don't do it at all."

What part of the Show Me are you originally from? I now live in Jefferson City.

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. I'll be following along most every night when I get home from work (1:00 AM).

Dave
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Hi from Missouri

Hey there EZ
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #8

Hi from Missouri

EZ Rider
Like your signature!
Liked the movie!
Welcome to the chatroom. It's a fun and educational place to be! You're goin' like it here!
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 AM   #9

Hi from Missouri

Welcome from St. Louis!
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Tileguy

Hi from Missouri

Yup, that was my home town, born and raised on the Muddy Mississippi in St Louis.

Always liked Jeff City. Family had a hunting and fishing resort years ago in the Eminence area and we also spent a lot of time at Bull Shoals and Bagnell and Taneycomo too.

The "Show Me" has some great lakes and the Ozark Mountains are hard to beat in that part of the country.

This DIY Chat is about the best place on the Internet for all around DIY stuff but if you want to specialize then there is the Tile Forums at http://www.tileyourworld.com and a new flooring website we are just putting together at http://www.thefloorpro.com. The latter sight will want you to prove-up as far as being in the flooring trades to get into the pro section so tell ADMIN I sent you over there and see if that helps.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Hi from Missouri

Thanks for the info, Bud. I had already found the Tile Your World site and have done alot of reading over there. When I saw your name on here I thought it sounded familier. I found your name on the member list over there and figured you were the one and the same. I now have the FloorPro site bookmarked to check it out the first chance I get.

I couldn't agree with you more. The DIY and the Contractor sites are VERY informative, friendly, and professional. I usually check the new posts every night when I get home from work.

Dave
Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Central Florida Painter

Hi from Missouri

Welcome Dave.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
with Mrs. Jeep

Hi from Missouri

Welcome aboard man! Wasn't that a good game the other day between the Hawks and Tigers?

JeepCop is offline   Reply With Quote